Urch Forums

What should I do now?

ryanmagic

I took a TOEFL test on Dec 17. And today I receive a letter from ETS:

We are writing to you regarding the iBT TOEFL that you had taken on December 17, 2011. Please accept our apologies for the delay in reporting your test scores. Unfortunately we are not able to score your test due to problems scoring the speaking section of your test. When the raters attempted to score your speaking section, they could not hear your responses.

We regret that we cannot release scores for any other part of the TOEFL exam if the Speaking section is unscorable; our system will not allow it.

Please use the voucher authorization number below and also listed on your web TOEFL iBT profile to schedule another test date. The voucher number will pay for the test.

I check the test date, the earliest is on Feb 3. So I guess I will miss all the deadlines!

What should I do? Opinions?

I agree with treddi that you should contact the schools. TOEFL is not an important element of your application, so I think they may admit you conditional on your TOEFL score (which you will send later) being above their limit.

Also, maybe you should ask ETS if they have scores on other sections of the test, and then tell the schools the information you receive from ETS.

Although it sucks, even your original Toefl date was after the deadline for most school (Berkeley's deadline was Dec 1st) so that may factor against you....good luck

That's true. I intended to use an earlier test score at first. But Berkeley says they only accept test taken recently (i.e. after Jun 2010).

Guest 8675309
E-mail and call the graduate director. A lot of programs will take an earlier test. That is simply what is written on the website. I know people who were allowed to use 5 year old GRE scores, even the school said no older than two. Departments have tremendous flexibility to control the admissions process and nothing written on the website is set in stone. I generally take whats written with a gigantic grain of salt.