Urch Forums

rates of attrition, failure rates, avg stipends

godlesschum

how about Haas? Anderson GEMS? PRGS? Booth? Duke? Brown? UCSD?

Ceteris paribus, stipends will be higher while attriition and prelim fail rates will be lower at Business Schools than Econ departments housed in a College of Social Science or Arts and Letters or whatever.

The year that I applied, UCSD had incredibly low stipends. IIRC, it was $12.5k/yr, which is depressingly low considering the cost-of-living in San Diego. According to one poster (I believe on these forums), they sent out applications for food stamps along with admit letters. Even amongst the UC's it was quite low (UCI offered me $15.5k/yr, IIRC).

IIRC, Duke was in the high teens the I applied. I didn't apply to any of those other schools.

Ceteris paribus, stipends will be higher while attriition and prelim fail rates will be lower at Business Schools than Econ departments housed in a College of Social Science or Arts and Letters or whatever.

The year that I applied, UCSD had incredibly low stipends. IIRC, it was $12.5k/yr, which is depressingly low considering the cost-of-living in San Diego. According to one poster (I believe on these forums), they sent out applications for food stamps along with admit letters. Even amongst the UC's it was quite low (UCI offered me $15.5k/yr, IIRC).

IIRC, Duke was in the high teens the I applied. I didn't apply to any of those other schools.

These stipends are quite low compared to other disciplines, particularly hard sciences. I have friends in bio who get 30k per year. What gives?

Guest 8675309
These stipends are quite low compared to other disciplines, particularly hard sciences. I have friends in bio who get 30k per year. What gives?

Your talking about a UC School. You realize they've taken 20% budget cuts in 2009 and their finances haven't gotten much better. A lot of econ grad stipends are in the 30K range, but I wouldn't expect those stipends from schools in ,florida, california or Iowa who've faced the worst of the recession. I'm sure stipends from places like Michigan, Texas are much more generous.

The stipend range for most people on this fourm is going to be like 18-30K. The guys lucky enough to get into top 10 places will probably be looking at some value between 25-40K, the guys going 20-40 range are probably going to be looking at 20K. If your in a lower tiered school in a low cost of living area the stipend you might expect may fall to some figure between 12.5-20K. Of course you can also occasionally get some additional funding from undergraduate teaching at etc. *

* Yes most grad schools require undergrad teaching. Lower tiered places often have students teach courses as soon as the pass comps.

Your talking about a UC School. You realize they've taken 20% budget cuts in 2009 and their finances haven't gotten much better. A lot of econ grad stipends are in the 30K range, but I wouldn't expect those stipends from schools in ,florida, california or Iowa who've faced the worst of the recession. I'm sure stipends from places like Michigan, Texas are much more generous.

I don't know that Michigan schools are really rolling in dough, as the state has cut its support quite a bit. IIRC, the standard stipend at Michigan is a little below $18k (50%, 9 month). At MSU, the stipend for someone without a Masters is something like $13.5k (50%, 9 month). The departments have limited funds to supplement with fellowships.

A few qualifiers. First, on the surface UMich appears to offer a premium over MSU commensurate with its higher rank/presitige. However, that difference isn't quite as large as it may appear given the substantial cost-of-living difference between Ann Arbor and Lansing. Also, MSU benefits are quite a bit more generous than UMich. The Graduate Employee Union at MSU negotiated a new contract last spring (4 years) and they provided a comparison to other Big Ten schools, including UMich. In terms of the base packages from the two Michigan schools, the financial package at MSU is probably on par with what UMich has, possibly even a little better. Obviously, though, your job market prospects are orders of magnitude better coming from UMich rather than MSU.

Frustrations over the UMich Econ Department's refusal to supplement stipends is what led one of their grad students (asquare? j/k) to put together this little Youtube video:

UCLA and Berkeley are top 10, but they wouldn't have 25-40k I'm guessing?

Depends. With Berkeley, a lot of students (particularly international students) have outside funding. But aside from that Berkeley has more grant money to play with than pretty much any other public university. All of which is to say that while the base grad assistantship is certainly less than $25k, I would think that most Berkeley students are getting support well-above the base.

With respect to UCLA, personally I wouldn't put them in the Top 10 and I don't think that they've been a Top 10 school for quite a while. At best, they're a borderline Top 15 school. But I'd consider UCSD (Top 10-15ish) to be decisvely ahead of UCLA. Or, put it a different way, I think that UCLA is a lot closer to UC Davis (Top 25-30ish) than it is to Berkeley (Top 5-10ish).