Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 ARE Thread

One fish, two fish.

Good post? Yes | No

2012 ARE Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Similar to years previous, I thought I would start up a thread specific to Agricultural and Resource Economics programs. Generally, this is an "anything goes" thread where you should feel free to ask questions, post admissions results, express anxiety, and relax among the company of other applied micro folks.

One fish, two fish.

Good post? Yes | No
    And to kick things off, I recently contacted the Ph.D. program coordinator at Wisconsin AAE about when we might expect decisions to come out. She said that the committee meets tomorrow to make admissions decisions and results should come out sometime next week (no earlier than Tuesday). This seems to accord to previous years, so the value-added is weak, but it might help to settle some nerves in the short-term.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks for the update, resource. Although I think Wisconsin is a bit of a reach for me, I'm anxious to hear either way.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Hey resource which program are you hoping for the most?

One fish, two fish.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by coughka View Post
    Hey resource which program are you hoping for the most?
    That's a good question. I think I would enroll in Duke Econ or Berkeley ARE immediately, if I was offered admission at either of them. The chance of that happening? Small. I'm not too optimistic after this whole interview ordeal at Duke, but my LOR writers have very good connections there (which keeps the flame of hope alive). Berkeley is far and away the best fit for my interests, but they are *really* competitive, and I am hopeful but not expecting an admit. Davis and Maryland are likely next -- Maryland's a better fit for my interests, though I'd rather live in CA. Davis has fewer people doing research up my alley, but Maryland has better connections with the policy world in DC. Those two are a toss up, but I get less optimistic about Davis with each day. I don't think they have offered that many admits this late in Feb. I am actually expecting them to admit me to their MS program (which is what I received in 2009 when I first applied), which would mean that they value my MS at exactly nothing. Which brings me to Wisconsin and Cornell -- these two I think I am most excited about because I think I have the best shot at getting in and I am very excited about the research they are doing. Both seem to be investing into their environmental faculty and students, which makes them exciting places to be. I am optimistic because my LOR writers have coauthored papers with faculty at both places, and I think they are programs on the rise. Oregon and Georgia State were last minute safety applications, I think I have a decent shot at getting in, and they have 1-2 great faculty in environmental econ each. Oh, and Duke's Environmental Policy program is tough -- they haven't graduated their first class yet, so job market prospects are uncertain. They have very, very good faculty feeding into that program, as well as access to the Duke Econ faculty. It's an attractive niche-program, but tough to compare directly to ARE or Econ programs. I'm also feeling less optimistic there, as I haven't heard anything and there have been a couple admits on GC for a very small entering class (~5 students).

What about y'all? What are your dream programs? (It is quite therapeutic to get it all out there in words, I have to say...)

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Well if we're talking about dream programs mine would have to be MIT.

If I were to go purely by interests the next best would have to be Berkeley ARE, but their stipend is below average, and even worse considering cost of living doesn't get much higher than there. I think if I could get in at Cornell w/ the Sage Fellowship I'd be about indifferent between that and a Berkeley ARE offer. Realistically, though, I'll probably go somewhere a bit lower down like Maryland Econ.

P.S. Resource you really think Wisconsin and Cornell are on the rise? I could understand Wisconsin, but my impression for Cornell is that their ranking has been pretty stagnant and their placements are still like a top 30 school from what I've seen.

One fish, two fish.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Well if we're talking about dream programs mine would have to be MIT.

If I were to go purely by interests the next best would have to be Berkeley ARE, but their stipend is below average, and even worse considering cost of living doesn't get much higher than there. I think if I could get in at Cornell w/ the Sage Fellowship I'd be about indifferent between that and a Berkeley ARE offer. Realistically, though, I'll probably go somewhere a bit lower down like Maryland Econ.

P.S. Resource you really think Wisconsin and Cornell are on the rise? I could understand Wisconsin, but my impression for Cornell is that their ranking has been pretty stagnant and their placements are still like a top 30 school from what I've seen.
    I know what you mean about the stipend to cost-of-living ratio at Berkeley, add in a pretty abysmal state budget and things don't look to positive. As for Cornell, I was talking about the Applied Econ program (and I think you were mentioning pure Econ since Cornell AAE < Maryland Econ). As for Cornell pure econ, I think you may be right -- stagnation and weaker than rank placements seem to accord with my view. Cornell AEM seems to be expanding its environmental econ fields (Bento and Poe are good, and new hires Shanjun Li and Howard Chong should put Cornell AEM on the radar). Cornell funding is nice relative to cost of living, too -- 22k+4k goes a long way in Ithaca. Wisconsin has had a similar hiring spree in their applied program (Phaneuf, Grainger, Rutherford, and an open AP spot).

Maryland econ is definitely better than Cornell or Wisc (applied), though. Probably marginally better than Davis ARE/Maryland AREc. It's be a good place to be for environmental (is that what you're focusing on?).

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I just want to make the right decision. My biggest fear is choosing the wrong program for my skills/interests.

One fish, two fish.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by lily714 View Post
    I just want to make the right decision. My biggest fear is choosing the wrong program for my skills/interests.
    Well, you're on track to have a good set of options!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Yea it definitely seems like Wisconsin is on the rise as far as environmental goes. Is Davis a good school for environmental? Are they worth going to if the research interests don't align? Berkeley would be a dream...wish there wasn't so much competition but they put out some really good students so I guess everyone benefits. I've always wondered what makes Maryland's program so good...anyone have insight?

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information