Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a Plan-B

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

I need a Plan-B

Sponsored Ad:
    Even before I begin the PhD Econ process, I need a plan-B if I don't get accepted into a PhD Econ program.

- I know I want to go into academia for sure.
    - I know I don't want to do a PhD in Accounting or Marketing or Management.
    - If I don't get into PhD Economics, I probably won't be accepted by a PhD Finance program, otherwise a PhD Finance would be my next choice.
    - I want a PhD in a field where the ratio of open faculty positions to applicants is favorable.

What would you suggest to me - if I don't get into a PhD Econ program, what PhD should I shoot for?

Thank you guys!

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    I really don't understand why you are so sure you love Academia to the degree that you'd take any type of PhD. Generally people don't like academia. They like economics, or they like Finance, or they like Computer Science. Because they like the subject and are stimulated by the unanswered questions in that field they want to go into academia. I seriously doubt you can get enough motivation to finish a PhD if you're just doing it because its an easy field to get a job in.

Also, be sure to separate out a love of teaching at the university level from a love of academia. You can teach with a MA at the community college level, and you'll be very competitive for jobs if you have even a bottom of the barrel of rankings econ PhD. Most people on TM are not interested in that because they passionately love economics and researching economics, more than teaching, so they want to be around other active researchers. Because of that I'd honestly be happier doing an Econ MA and teaching at the community college econ classes while doing barely passable regressions on stata then being in a full university researching microbiology or some other random subject.

Instead, if you're genuinely interested in economics but are worried about the your inability to finish a econ PhD because of the math my suggestion is you can often tackle non-theoretical econ PhD questions from related fields (i.e. agricultural economics (still a lot of real analysis but there won't be as much dynamic programming without macro), or Public Policy). If you doubt you're competitive for econ PhD programs then I'd suggest you wouldn't be competitive in any other field either. Take classes for a few years and try to get better letters instead.

Eager!
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    I would say, try UC Davis ARE M.S. program.
    I saw many people lose there passion to do PhD when they are in M.S. level class.
    It's only a one-year program, won't cost too much time. And if you doing really well, you will be promoted to the ARE PhD program.
    If you don't do well, you can find a job with a M.S.. Go to industry or as Walras said, M.S. is enough for college teaching job.
    Attending UC Davis ARE MS Program.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    How about Phd/MPhil programs in Europe? Some of the Europe programs have late deadlines. I remember the deadline for Econ PhD program at U Toulouse I (Sciences Sociales) is April 30th, for example. You can either do PhD there, or do masters and apply for PhD later.
    In: Penn, Columbia; WL: NYU. Sweet Dilemma.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmagic View Post
    I would say, try UC Davis ARE M.S. program.
    I saw many people lose there passion to do PhD when they are in M.S. level class.
    It's only a one-year program, won't cost too much time. And if you doing really well, you will be promoted to the ARE PhD program.
    If you don't do well, you can find a job with a M.S.. Go to industry or as Walras said, M.S. is enough for college teaching job.
    What is ARE?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Agriculture/resource economics

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Walras View Post
    Generally people don't like academia.
    I am surprised people don't like academia. I love academia. I am not *that* tied to Economics because I know it is research that will make me happy. I can see myself being happy in an Econ department or even in a Physics department, in a Finance department or even in a Math department, etc. etc.

I doubt my ability to get into a PhD Econ program because I have a GED instead of a high school and I will be graduating with a degree from a local community college where I can attend free although I will have taken advanced Math and Econ classes at a good university through their outreach program. However, will a PhD Econ program take someone with a BS degree from NoName Community College? (And yeah, many community colleges offer BS degrees these days).

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmagic View Post
    M.S. is enough for college teaching job.
    I like research, not teaching.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ededo View Post
    How about Phd/MPhil programs in Europe? Some of the Europe programs have late deadlines. I remember the deadline for Econ PhD program at U Toulouse I (Sciences Sociales) is April 30th, for example. You can either do PhD there, or do masters and apply for PhD later.
    Thanks - I am not applying this cycle though. After reading through a post by Mankiw, I still need to take classes like
    Calculus
    Linear Algebra
    Multivariable Calculus
    Real Analysis
    Probability Theory
    Mathematical Statistics
    Game Theory
    Differential Equations
    Most of these classes are not offered at my community college, so I am taking them through the outreach program of a good university.

Good post? Yes | No
    There are several "applied economics" programs, like the one at Minnesota. In addition to ARE, you could choose to specialize in health, labor, or development economics. A few other schools have similar "applied" tracks that could lead to a career in academia.

Of course, another option would be first doing a master's degree then applying. For someone coming from a CC, that might be the best bet, if you are willing to spend the time and money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information