Urch Forums

Econ, Math, CGPA

billyshears

Any insights into what adcoms will think of my GPAs?

Cumulative undergrad GPA at Top 60 Public, Econ Major, Finance Minor: 3.64

Top 60 Public (Top 40 Econ PhD)

Total Econ: 3.45

Upper Division: 3.67

Last 2 years: 3.71 (A in Econometrics)

Currently completing the recomended math/stat (6) courses at a different Top 60 Public as a non degree student:

Projected GPA 3.85

So what are good ways to remedy mediocre econ grades? Take a grad micro class and ace it? Take additional undergrad classes and ace them? Can other parts of my profile make up for this. Say a 4.0 in math along with good LORs?

What does it do for schools ranked in the 30's and 40's?

Given your circumstances, I don't think trying to remedy the econ grades is a good step. If you get a few solid grades in advanced math, it'd help signal that your earlier econ grades reflected a lack of effort, not your true ability.

As for top 30-40 programs - I have some personal experience with one such program, and I'd doubt that you'd be admitted. Definitely apply to some of these programs, but put your safeties a bit lower.

Given your circumstances, I don't think trying to remedy the econ grades is a good step. If you get a few solid grades in advanced math, it'd help signal that your earlier econ grades reflected a lack of effort, not your true ability.

As for top 30-40 programs - I have some personal experience with one such program, and I'd doubt that you'd be admitted. Definitely apply to some of these programs, but put your safeties a bit lower.

What is your experience?

I have taken courses at such a graduate program, talked with a former director of admissions, and know the background of some students very well.

Even the average student at a #30-#40 program usually has all the "nice" things to have in an application: the necessary math courses (up to linear algebra and math stats; preferably probability and analysis); good grades in those courses (3.7+ is acceptable for undergrads from top 15 universities or top foreign universities; but you probably need 3.85+ at a top 60 public); and for US applicants: some basic research experience and thesis, and moderately strong letters that explicitly endorse your ability to do well in the targeted program, etc.

Now, it is entirely possible to get in the programs without one of those pieces; but you have to excel at some other area, preferably a close substitute. I don't see that in your profile, yet.