Urch Forums

Any thoughts on Stockholm School of Economics Phd?

undercover

I do not think anyone without a Masters degree would be accepted there, let perhaps highly mathematical and renowned backgrounds be the exception. Ah well, what regards the competitiveness, I guess they have intakes between 5-10, and more than 100 applications per year. If you search in this forum, I'm pretty sure you'll find profiles of people who got accepted/rejected there to get a better understanding of the requirements.

The program is joint with Stockholm University and IIES. I would rate the course program in the 10-30 area (some even higher), it highly depends on the course unit and who gives which course (but I am sure you can find that out using "the internet"). There are some visiting professors from top US institutions that teach at the program. Trivially, your chances afterwards depend on your skills and your supervisor's marketing. And then again, the latter depends on your supervisor (but again, I am sure you can find out who that could be).

eXcuvator, Thanks for the input. I assume you are currently enrolled in the program from searching on the forum.

I do not have a masters degree but I have taken a whole bunch of math classes as a econ and math double major. I am very interested in this program and in going to Stockholm. What are the odds of being transferred into the Phd program if I do very well in the first year of Msc? Do you have any idea about this?

I don't know. Somewhere in (0,100), probably closer to 100 than to 0. However, if you do well, I think the odds of going from the masters to the phd at SSE is quite high, if you do well. After all, noise in the admission process is huge, but not so, if they managed to see you "in action". I don't think rushing up that one year has huge benefits for you (unless you're really old and feel that you need to hurry).

Thank you eXcuvator, I plan on applying to both the masters and phd at the same time. I believe I have a great shot at Masters but very unsure about Phd. In any case where I do not get into my desired programs in the States, I plan on going to SSE for masters because of the possibility of transfer and finishing earlier. Also, do you know what they look for in the writing sample thats required as part of admission process? I do not have a very solid original research paper and feel like it could be a bad signal to adcoms over there.