Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation 2014 - Seeking Suggestions for a mediocre profile

cointegration

Type of Undergrad: BA in Economics and Computer Science from top 5 lib art college (US), BS in Economics top 10 turkish uni.

Undergrad GPA:3.0 for US (only econ modules avg), 3.19 for Turkey

Type of Grad: Msc in Economics from top 5 UK uni, Msc in Econometrics from top 10 turkish uni.

Grad GPA: Distinction from UK (70%), 3.25 from Turkey

GRE: Not taken yet

Math Courses: Diff Eq., Real Analysis, (though irrelevant self-taught Abstract Algebra)

Econ Courses (grad-level): UK - Macro, Micro, Metrics, Monetary Theory, Financial and Macro Metrics, Adv. Macro, Time Series; Turkey - Time Series 1&2, Micrometrics, Metrics theory, IO, Decision Theory

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Adv Micro&Macro, Growth, Adv. Metrics, Experimental Econ., Game Theory 1&2, Monetary Theory, International Economics, International Finance, History of Economic Thought, Decision Theory and bunch of other useless modules...

Other Courses: Artificial Intelligence, Programming Languages (I added them here just b/c they are low-key relevant)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 from UK Masters: Head of Department decent researcher in applied metrics, Micro ***. prof decent in evolutionary game theory 1 from Turkey if need be: Not recognized Prof. yet worked with her for her micro textbook so somewhat interesting letter of recommendation

Research Experience: Dissertations: US undergrad - Basically a lit review of ABM with an addiction model; UK - Coevolutionary Social Networks and ABM almost publishable quality (need a better computer for better simulations); Turkey - Nested Multinominal Logit Modelling to analyse macrodynamics (in process...); Also have other research papers: from UK on: NK Model with macroprudential (through dynare) for UK, Structural VAR Modelling (through microfit) for UK, Cigarette Demands in Turkey through ARDL Bounds test with bunch of (now a days absolete) structural break tests research papers; from US on: An experimental econ. research on cheating and reciprocity

Teaching Experience: In US: Tutor for intro to Micro and Adv. Micro, TA for intro to Micro and Adv. Micro; In Turkey: unofficial RA for a prof (the lady I prev. mentioned); in couple of months hopefully RA for Econ Theory Department

Research Interests: Kind of all over the place: Applied econometrics (*AR modelling (more recently non-linear modelling), Forecasting, Micrometric methods applied to macro), Microeconomics (Evolutionary Game Theory, of secondary importance: experimental and behavioral economics), ABM (Coevolutionary models for non-cooperative games)

SOP: No clue yet, dont worry too much about it, l'll write standart stuff

Concerns: Terrible grades for my BA from US (was more interested in learning stuff then getting good grades) I hope that my BA was a while ago (2010 graduate) and since then I am in a trend of getting gradually higher grades. Funding...

Other: Having multiple diplomas is rather confusing to adcoms, it helps in my case as I had terrible grades from my BA. They are all full-time studies, it is just that turkish universities are relatively easy.

Applying to: (PhD) Canada - Simon Fraser, Mcmaster, Carleton, Western Ontario, UBC (?); US - Michigan U. (?), George Mason, Iowa State, Ohio State, UT Dallas, UT Austin, UCSB, UCSD; Europe - Bonn, Konstanz, Tinbergen, SSE, Nottingham, Cambridge (just because of one of my letter of recommendation writter has contacts there). Honestly, this is a preliminary list I have no clue where I can get in... To be honest, all I want is to get into TI with funding... I would like to get some help on wher to apply as I still have no clue what to do any 2 cents will be appreciated...

I basically copy pasted my profile from the roll card 2014 thread. I don't know if anyone will be interested in giving some advices but I just dont wanna end up not getting admitted to anywhere. I basically took the Msc in economics from Nottingham Uni to increase my chances. Now I have a distinction from the modules and my dissertation and now I realize like it is worth nothing... I am good at time series econometrics and low key like it but I find micro more interesting. I am looking for a place where I can pursue either time series or micro with a focus on evolutionary dynamics. The only place I can come up with is Tinbergen. I dream of being a part of their CSC (Cooperative Bhaviour, Strategic Interaction and Complex Systems) research group. My other major problem is I am out of money and I am a non-EU guy. So I cannot afford to pay for tinbergen and I wonder if I have any chance on 1st being admitted and 2nd getting funding...

I think the distinction from Nottingham should open doors and help you get into decent schools. Why do you think it's worth nothing?

Dont get me wrong it does give me some force and honestly they gave me a solid econometrics education but outside europe I dont think they are as recognized as one may hope. Besides my undergrad gpa is a major drawback, I am even considering not even mentioning my us undergrad education as it has the lowest gpa.

Well, your research works are pretty interesting based on your description. I think that your advisor may have good suggestions on which schools may put an eye on you.

I am rather shy on asking my supervisor on applying to other schools and implying that I dont wanna work with him. In addition, to be honest I really like my supervisor (on ABM and evolutionary game theory) or if not him another potential supervisor (on applied econometrics); yet in uk you have to pick your topic and specialize in it and I am still not sure what field to focus on; I would like to have the freedom to decide perhaps after another year of intense advanced level training.