Urch Forums

Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program

gsb

The Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program offers a unique post-baccalaureate opportunity for high-potential individuals to come to Stanford to participate in the intellectual life at Stanford GSB and the university. This two-year fellowship is designed for individuals wanting to gain valuable training and experience toward a career in academic research before applying to a PhD program in business and related fields.

Fellows will have the opportunity to:

- Perform full-time research assistance for empirical research papers with top faculty in the field.

- Take doctoral-level courses in business, economics, statistics, math, or related fields

- Regularly attend field seminars

The program is scheduled to commence in July 2014. Applications for the July 2014 start date will be accepted during two application rounds. The fall application deadline is January 15, 2014. The spring application deadline is April 20, 2014.

For more information, go to Research Fellows Program | Stanford Graduate School of Business

• Like 1

This looks quite interesting. I have some questions about the program that I will post here, as I assume that others on this forum might be interested and have similar questions.

1.) What is the logic behind the application rounds? Are there different admissions criteria for the different rounds? I assume it has something to do with PhD application results coming out in March.

2.) How large will this program be? Is this the first year it is offered?

3.) Do you have an idea of the approximate standard of candidates you are looking for?

Hello,

Below are answers to you questions. Thanks for your interest in the Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program.

1.) What is the logic behind the application rounds? Are there different admissions criteria for the different rounds? I assume it has something to do with PhD application results coming out in March.

There are two rounds of application and the criteria is the same for the each round. As you can imagine for administrative purposes, it makes sense that we have an early fall/winter deadline as the program start date is July 2014. We decided to add a spring application deadline, primarily for people who are interested in pursuing a PhD in Business/Econ who didn't get in the school of their choice, and are looking for an opportunity to gain experience and skills before reapplying (hence the April 20th deadline).

This is the innagural year for the program, and we expect the first group to be small.

3.) Do you have an idea of the approximate standard of candidates you are looking for?

The program is for high-potential prospects, who we hope will make the most of the opportunities available through the fellowship program (RA, courses, etc). We hope that these individuals will fully engage in the intellectual environment at Stanford. In thinking about the RA responsibilities, prospects should have some programming experience or the ability to learn programming quickly.

I hope this is helpful. Of course if you have additional questions, I'd be happy to help.

This looks quite interesting. I have some questions about the program that I will post here, as I assume that others on this forum might be interested and have similar questions.

I see it doesn't seem to mention GRE scores (or even GMAT, for that matter). Is that implied as a part of the application? Is there an SOP? Writing sample? The requirements for applying just seem very minimal, which makes me curious about the caliber of candidates the program seeks. What kind of prep undergraduate-wise (e.g., courses) is the program looking for, if anything specific?

Hello,

Standardized test scores are not required as part of the fellowship application. GRE/GMAT scores are typically required for graduate programs. As this a fellowship program, we do not require test scores as part of the application. Also, rather than a statement of purpose, applicants are asked to provide answers to a series of questions.

As noted on the website, projects generally involve manipulation of large data sets and sophisticated statistical modelling, and require strong programming skills. Day to day work will mostly utilize statistical packages such as R, Matlab, or Stata, but we will favor applicants with some lower level programming experience (e.g., C or java).

I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

For what it is worth, Stanford as a whole does deeply value diversity.

Needless to say, it is difficult to sponsor work visas and this is likely the reason it is only open to US citizens. Plus , there are plenty of US citizens who would add to the diversity pool... You don't have to be international to be diverse.

Needless to say, it is difficult to sponsor work visas and this is likely the reason it is only open to US citizens.

Non-US citizens who hold a degree from a US institution automatically get a one-year work visa (called OPT), and if the degree is in science (one of the STEM fields) then I believe they automatically get a two-year work visa. I am not aware of any other immigration-related rationale for them to exclude non-US citizens.

The Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program offers a unique post-baccalaureate opportunity for high-potential individuals to come to Stanford to participate in the intellectual life at Stanford GSB and the university. This two-year fellowship is designed for individuals wanting to gain valuable training and experience toward a career in academic research before applying to a PhD program in business and related fields.

Fellows will have the opportunity to:

- Perform full-time research assistance for empirical research papers with top faculty in the field.

- Take doctoral-level courses in business, economics, statistics, math, or related fields

- Regularly attend field seminars

The program is scheduled to commence in July 2014. Applications for the July 2014 start date will be accepted during two application rounds. The fall application deadline is January 15, 2014. The spring application deadline is April 20, 2014.

For more information, go to Research Fellows Program | Stanford Graduate School of Business

For applicants who were unaware of the GSB Fellowship until recently (as far as I can tell it was just recently posted on NBER's website) and may already have an RA offer from a top professor at another top institution (but have not yet accepted it), would there any way to speed the review of GSB application? Say, in the next few weeks (i.e. before 1/15)? What if certain participating Stanford GSB faculty actively advocate for the applicant?

I ask because I am in the final stages of an application to a separate program, but my research interests are much more closely aligned with those of some Stanford GSB faculty. It would be extremely difficult and risky to turn down my other offer, but my background and long term goals are a much better fit for the Stanford opportunity. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!

I contacted the program and received the following information:

- The program will be small this year, with a target enrollment of three

- The program is intended to place students into a top 5 PhD program afterwards, so I imagine the minimum standard is to be competitive for top 5 PhD programs after two additional years of research experience

Does anyone have an opinion on whether doing this program may allow you to finish your PhD faster once you become an actual PhD student? For example, if you take the maximum courseload and finish 6 courses at Stanford in those two years, would you perhaps be able to finish your PhD in 4 years instead of 5 (assuming you would have taken 5 years without doing this program)?

Does anyone have an opinion on whether doing this program may allow you to finish your PhD faster once you become an actual PhD student? For example, if you take the maximum courseload and finish 6 courses at Stanford in those two years, would you perhaps be able to finish your PhD in 4 years instead of 5 (assuming you would have taken 5 years without doing this program)?

It seems it would depend on the program to which you are applying. I expect PhD-level classes at Stanford would satisfy basic requirements for many schools, but some programs may have strict coursework requirements.

Regarding the Fellowship website, there appear to be 20 or so professors in ~7 different fields, however Venture learned they are only looking for about 3 people. Any idea how that works? Would the professors pick RAs they want to work with, or vice versa?

It seems it would depend on the program to which you are applying. I expect PhD-level classes at Stanford would satisfy basic requirements for many schools, but some programs may have strict coursework requirements.

No, PhD programs very rarely accept credits from another university. In some cases, you may be able to get out of a required course by essentially passing the final exam without taking the course.

No, PhD programs very rarely accept credits from another university. In some cases, you may be able to get out of a required course by essentially passing the final exam without taking the course.

I was simply repeating the following quote which is posted verbatim on the fellowship website: "Many doctoral programs will accept transfer units for equivalent doctoral level coursework completed at Stanford GSB and Stanford University."

Anyone have any ideas about the 20 vs. 3 thing?

MIT: "May I transfer credits from another master's or PhD program I have attended?

No, we do not accept transfer credits. However, the Department offers a system of waiver exams for Micro Theory, Macro Theory, and Statistics."

Yale: "Students may, after one year of course work at Yale, petition the Economics Department and the Graduate School to waive up to one year of course work at Yale in view of prior graduate-level course work completed elsewhere. All other requirements, including the comprehensive examination, the economic history requirement, oral examinations, and the econometrics paper, must be completed at Yale."

Princeton: "Q. Can I transfer credits from another graduate program?

A. There are no allowable credit transfers from another program to the Economics Ph.D. program. All admitted students, regardless of an advanced degree, will begin the program as a first year student subject to the first year core courses. An admitted student can, however, opt to take an exemption exam before the beginning of the term for any of the first year core courses."

• 1 month later...