Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program

Trying to make mom and pop proud

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program

Sponsored Ad:
    The Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program offers a unique post-baccalaureate opportunity for high-potential individuals to come to Stanford to participate in the intellectual life at Stanford GSB and the university. This two-year fellowship is designed for individuals wanting to gain valuable training and experience toward a career in academic research before applying to a PhD program in business and related fields.

Fellows will have the opportunity to:

- Perform full-time research assistance for empirical research papers with top faculty in the field.
    - Take doctoral-level courses in business, economics, statistics, math, or related fields
    - Regularly attend field seminars

The program is scheduled to commence in July 2014. Applications for the July 2014 start date will be accepted during two application rounds. The fall application deadline is January 15, 2014. The spring application deadline is April 20, 2014.

For more information, go to Research Fellows Program | Stanford Graduate School of Business

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    You should mention it's only for US citizens or aliens... Sigh...

Not at all open!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage sulebrahim's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    the struggles of a form I-20 recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Changer View Post
    You should mention it's only for US citizens or aliens... Sigh...

Not at all open!

Within my grasp!

This looks quite interesting. I have some questions about the program that I will post here, as I assume that others on this forum might be interested and have similar questions.

1.) What is the logic behind the application rounds? Are there different admissions criteria for the different rounds? I assume it has something to do with PhD application results coming out in March.

2.) How large will this program be? Is this the first year it is offered?

3.) Do you have an idea of the approximate standard of candidates you are looking for?

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello,

Below are answers to you questions. Thanks for your interest in the Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program.

1.) What is the logic behind the application rounds? Are there different admissions criteria for the different rounds? I assume it has something to do with PhD application results coming out in March.

There are two rounds of application and the criteria is the same for the each round. As you can imagine for administrative purposes, it makes sense that we have an early fall/winter deadline as the program start date is July 2014. We decided to add a spring application deadline, primarily for people who are interested in pursuing a PhD in Business/Econ who didn't get in the school of their choice, and are looking for an opportunity to gain experience and skills before reapplying (hence the April 20th deadline).

This is the innagural year for the program, and we expect the first group to be small.

3.) Do you have an idea of the approximate standard of candidates you are looking for?

The program is for high-potential prospects, who we hope will make the most of the opportunities available through the fellowship program (RA, courses, etc). We hope that these individuals will fully engage in the intellectual environment at Stanford. In thinking about the RA responsibilities, prospects should have some programming experience or the ability to learn programming quickly.

I hope this is helpful. Of course if you have additional questions, I'd be happy to help.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    This looks quite interesting. I have some questions about the program that I will post here, as I assume that others on this forum might be interested and have similar questions.

Any idea if 1 year fellowships will be offered?

Good post? Yes | No
    I see it doesn't seem to mention GRE scores (or even GMAT, for that matter). Is that implied as a part of the application? Is there an SOP? Writing sample? The requirements for applying just seem very minimal, which makes me curious about the caliber of candidates the program seeks. What kind of prep undergraduate-wise (e.g., courses) is the program looking for, if anything specific?

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi there,

The fellowship is a two year fellowship.

GSB PhD Program

Hello,

Standardized test scores are not required as part of the fellowship application. GRE/GMAT scores are typically required for graduate programs. As this a fellowship program, we do not require test scores as part of the application. Also, rather than a statement of purpose, applicants are asked to provide answers to a series of questions.

As noted on the website, projects generally involve manipulation of large data sets and sophisticated statistical modelling, and require strong programming skills. Day to day work will mostly utilize statistical packages such as R, Matlab, or Stata, but we will favor applicants with some lower level programming experience (e.g., C or java).

I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

Within my grasp!

5 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    It's a shame non-US citizens are not welcome. Doesn't quite fit the "Because of its strong belief in the value of diversity (...)" footer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information