Urch Forums

Suggestions for a Masters candidate for 2015

econgooner

Hey, I just wanted to know what the community thought of my chances:

I'm a third year student at a state school.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Math + BA Econ

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

GRE: Not yet taken

Math Courses: Calc II (A), Multivariate Calc (A), Linear Algebra (A), Differential Equations (A), Proofs (A), Stats and Probability (A), Advanced Applied Linear Algebra (Pending) (Will be taking Math Modelling, Applied Stats, Numerical Analysis and maybe intro to real analysis)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro Micro (A), Intro Macro (A), Intermed Micro (A), Intermed Macro (A), Game Theory (A) (Will be taking Graduate Advanced Micro, Money and Banking, Econometrics and will write a Capstone thesis)

Other courses: Political science.

Letters of Recommendation: Professors from Math, Econ and Political Science.

Research: Potential position in a lab regarding financial markets.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

How about the following institutions:

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, UChicago?

In addition, the proof based class was an introduction to fundamental mathematical proofs and covered number theory, algebra and set theory. I know that there is a page on real analysis requirements but is this level of proof knowledge okay? Or would I be better off taking a course in real analysis as well?

I can speak somewhat about the UK master's programmes. UK master's programmes are not purely interested in preparing PhD students and focus on different things during admissions than you read about on this forum for PhD programmes.

That said, I see two types of people here: those with a very strong academic background, and those without as strong an academic background but with something interesting in their profile. Examples of things I've seen are: wrote for the economist, addressed the UN, started their own company, was a professional athlete, etc. If you have something like this it will help you, but for the purposes of this post I assume you don't.

The quality of your school matters a bit, but your profile seems competitive. Certainly your mathematical preparation will be above average, even without real analysis (though if you think you can get an A, intro to real analysis would be more helpful than some of the other math courses you mentioned). I would definitely focus on getting that research position and some good letters. Add a good GRE, and I would be very surprised if you did not get into at least one of those schools.

How about the following institutions:

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, UChicago?

I don't think MIT/U Chicago offer masters in economics.

Canadian masters programs may not be a bad idea as well if you are interested in doing a PhD later on and/or if money is a concern.

Hmm.. in that sense I've written and been an editor for an independent college newspaper. Or would you say that wouldn't have such a great impact?

I think this might help -- but this is not going to confer the same amount of promise as working at UN, writing in economist, etc. I'd say it is about 10-15% of the impact of those examples Venture supplied.