Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is considered a "top undergraduate" in the context of economics PhD admissions?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

What is considered a "top undergraduate" in the context of economics PhD admissions?

Sponsored Ad:
    I see the terms like "top undergraduate school" used quite a bit on forums and graduate school admissions guides. Does this refer to Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, or does it include schools other schools like UChicago and MIT with strong reputations in economics? Does it also include Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia, UPenn, and Stanford?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    I would guess it's the same as the top department rankings in general

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Given the overlap and importance of graduate coursework and big-name LOR writers, I suppose that makes sense. Do schools like Northwestern and Berkeley fit the top schools category while others like Columbia and Cambridge fall out of it because of their graduate rankings?

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Places like Dartmouth, BYU, and Tulane send lots of students to graduate school in Economics. However, they send them to different schools.

Essentially, it's all relative, what constitutes a "top" undergraduate program is dependent on pool you are being compared to.

Bottom line, if you want to go to Harvard for grad school it makes sense to go to an Ivy league undergrad if it is possible and money is not an issue. Going guarantees nothing and not going does not preclude admission to a top graduate program.

Good post? Yes | No
    Ivy League is a lot more than Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. It includes Dartmouth, which as you said, doesn't send people top economics graduate schools. Does the advice aimed "Ivy League students" only apply to students at HYP, or does it extend to people studying at the lower Ivies as well?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage Catrina's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Given that the ranking is important primarily due to access to potential well-known LOR writers, etc., the economics rankings should be what matters.
    Attending Rice University

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Quote Originally Posted by JDMoo View Post
    Ivy League is a lot more than Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. It includes Dartmouth, which as you said, doesn't send people top economics graduate schools. Does the advice aimed "Ivy League students" only apply to students at HYP, or does it extend to people studying at the lower Ivies as well?
    I find it difficult to believe that the sentiment "but he only went to Dartmouth" has ever been uttered as a sole justification for not offering admission to an applicant to any economics PHD program.
    Last edited by to2012; 05-10-2014 at 02:07 PM.

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMoo View Post
    I didn't say that at all.

I said Dartmouth sends people to different schools than, say, Tulane. Dartmouth sends students to the very best schools.

economist

Good post? Yes | No
    I took a look at the outgoing Harvard PhD class. According to my quick count, of the 26 people 6 had undergraduate degrees from Harvard, 1 from Dartmouth, 1 from Columbia-no others from the Ivy league.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

^once you add in Stanford, MIT, Chicago and some top LACs, and remove the international students, I imagine the fraction that comes from Ivy or Ivy-level undergrads is pretty high. At least 70%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information