Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - PhD Economics

pandora

UPDATED PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Bsc in Economics by a Top School in a small european country with history in placements in top schools

Undergrad GPA: 3.8 (Top 3%)

Type of Grad: Msc in Economics in the same school

Grad GPA: 4.0 (Best Student)

GRE: Q - 170 | V - 161 | AW - 3.5 (terrible do you think it may hurt?)

Math Courses: Calculus I/II (A/A), Linear Algebra (A), Graduate Math I (A), Graduate Math II (A), Statistics (B), Data Treatment (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Environmental Policies, Game Theory II, Game Theory III, Industrial Organization, Labour Economics, Growth and Fluctuations, Macroeconomic Theory, Econometrics, Time Series, Microeconometrics - All Taken with A.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Principles of Microeconomics, P. Macroeconomics, Macroeconomics, Macroeconomic Policies, Microeconomic Policies, Game Theory all with A. Development Economics, Seminar in Current European Issues and Finance with B.

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: One is with my advisor in the marters thesis (I took maximum grade in the thesis for the first time in the history of the school (+30 years). We work together in an economics department, we co-author an article in a minor publication, and have plans to co-author a working paper with another american economist). The second was the director of my masters. I was his best student and he was at my juri in the thesis. The last had some contact in research and we research in same area, I hope he will say I have some capabilities. The first and the second are top 5% in Ideas.

Research Experience: Until the application deadline I hope to have two articles published in that minor publication, and two working papers, with possible prospects of publication in good journals.

Teaching Experience: 2 Years in the field of Microeconomics.

Research Interests: Microeconometrics, panel data and labor economics

SOP: Should be about my empriical drive, and the attempt to explore microdata to enlarge knowledge in those fields. But I am still in the air.

Concerns: GRE low AW

Other:

Applying to: Help me to define the school that are achievable...

Edited by pandora

As someone not in the top 20, I may be off here. But I will say you are competitive everywhere in the top 20.

For one, you were the top student in a school that places students at top schools. Second, one of your recommenders is going to say you are the best student ever. Third, the part about research experience

As someone not in the top 20, I may be off here. But I will say you are competitive everywhere in the top 20.

For one, you were the top student in a school that places students at top schools. Second, one of your recommenders is going to say you are the best student ever. Third, the part about research experience

Thank you for your answer. In your opinion what can i do to improve the profile?

I would say forget about the AWA score and focus on your research. Given your profile and the fact your school and advisors are known I would suggest to apply to as many top schools as you can, say all in top10 or all in top15. If you are very risk averse put in a couple of safties, but your profile is quite good.