Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Profile Evaluation: MPhil Economics Oxford/Cambridge - Master

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Profile Evaluation: MPhil Economics Oxford/Cambridge - Master

Sponsored Ad:
    Profile Evaluation - Oxford MPhil, LSE MSc???

Hi everyone

This is my first actual post on these forums (I've researched the collected wisdom here before, though), and I was hoping someone could give me a hint as to my chances at a few programs and let me know if I'm looking in the right places...

I've posted my profile below, but there's a couple notes to make:
    *My GPA is dragged down significantly by a pair of C's in Engineering (materials science and I did not get along), and there are a couple repeated grades in philosophy (another subject I did not get along with :-).
    *I'm absolutely certain I want to get an Econ Masters; not at all certain about PhD. Ultimately, I don't think I could do research for the rest of my life, but I love econ nonetheless. My plan is to find a IBanking or possibly Consulting job later on....

PROFILE:
    Type of University:
    TOP 2 undergrad in China, 30 worldwide
    Majors: Geology Economics(2nd degree)
    Undergrad GPA: 3.52 of Geology(rank 10), 3.63 of Economics
    GRE:
    160V+170Q+4W
    Math Courses: Advanced Calc I & II (94, 89), Linear Algebra (94), Probability and Statistics(95)
    Econ Courses: Intermediate micro(86) Intermediate macro(85) Intermediate econometrics(81) Industrial Organization(90) Economics paper-writing(96) Corporate finance(80)
    Other Courses: C C++ Python programming
    Letters of Recommendation(2+1):
    *Thesis Advisor: Peking Univ, knows me well
    *Probabilty Prof:Peking Univ, I was one of his best students
    *maybe I will try to get one from Stony Brook in the 2015 fall(exchange semester)

Research Experience:win the award to keep research after my tutor(Thesis Advisor), having completed one paper(n public)

Research Interests:economic modelling, math-economics

Application list:

Oxford MPhil
    LSE EME
    LSE MSc Econ
    Cambridge MPhil Econ
    Duke MA
    UMD MA
    Tufts MA

Thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by JohnZhang; 06-24-2015 at 11:57 AM.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation: MPhil Economics Oxford/Cambridge - Master

Seems like you should do a MFE instead. Master's in economics are for people who want to do a PhD or to work as economists. You don't seem to have a substantial interest in either, despite what you're saying.

Also, there is no "top 1" university in China.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your response! Actually I'd like to do some economics researches in future, mainly in modelling. As for TOP 1 university, we always take PKU and THU as TOP2, but actually they're all top1.

Good post? Yes | No

On pure principle I dont see why you shouldnt have a shot at either Oxford or Cambridge, but perhaps you should broaden your application list slightly, to the likes of Nottingham or UCL in the UK (if you re interested in micro specifically), Mannheim, Bonn and Frankfurt in Germany, Bocconi in Italy and perhaps also the PSE and TSE in France.

But again, if you do come from a strong programme in China, and have strong GRE and TOEFL scores, you should at least be considered. Unfortunately I cant be more precise because all of my friends from China did a Master in Europe, but I dont think any of them went to the top schools in China.
    Attending: Frankfurt GSEFM
    Admitted: Frankfurt GSEFM ($$), EUR ($$), Barcelona GSE (MSc)
    Interview: Munich GSE (declined)
    Rejected: sooo many places- Bonn, Manheim, Caltech, NYU Stern, Chicago, BU, UCSD, UT Austin, Virginia, UCSB, USC, GMU

Good post? Yes | No

Your GPA is too low to be admitted by Oxford, since the average GPA of admitted China's students are around 3.95

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

There are no economic fields known as "economic modelling" or "math economics". There is absolutely no reason to get an MA in economics if you do not seek to actually be an economist; you already have an undergraduate degree. Your graduate degree should help you get a job. You also cannot do "research in economics", and nobody will pay you to do it, if you do not have a PhD in economics, which you don't intend to get.

I re-iterate that your interest seem to be in the industry, not in academic research, and you should get a MFE or possibly an MBA.

Good post? Yes | No

In Europe having an MSc in Economics helps tremendously with getting a job, especially in consulting. Of course you can get jobs with just an undergrad (otherwise the unemployment rate would skyrocket if we couldnt), but nonetheless a strong performance in a Masters enhances your chances drastically.

I may have to agree with the comment on a Master in Financial Economics if you want to do investment banking.

But back to OP, you d have to figure out which you want to do: consulting and Inv. Banking are hugely different. An MSc in Econ would help for one, but no so much for the other, and vice versa with an MFE.
    Attending: Frankfurt GSEFM
    Admitted: Frankfurt GSEFM ($$), EUR ($$), Barcelona GSE (MSc)
    Interview: Munich GSE (declined)
    Rejected: sooo many places- Bonn, Manheim, Caltech, NYU Stern, Chicago, BU, UCSD, UT Austin, Virginia, UCSB, USC, GMU

Thread Information