Urch Forums

Boston University vs Boston College

Andiej

I am currently considering about either go to BU or BC. I am interested in international economics and game theory. I notice that both programs are pretty good at game theory. They offer me the same amount of funding (BU offers 5k more for summer research.) I am interested in finding a job in the private sector after graduating from Ph.D program.

I talked to professors and students from both programs, they are all pretty supportive and enthusiastic. I notice that there are a lot of commons between these two programs. Are there any suggestions or advice about these two programs? Thank you so much!

1. BU's placement dominates Bc for last DECADE, for both of academic and industrial jobs. (The only exception is 2016 candidates. BC's job market record is remarkable but we cannot say it guarantees promising future)

2. BC's micro theory group may be one of the best group out of Top 10, especially for matching theory. However, for international economics, it is not so strong as BU.

3. As you mentioned, for the given living expenses of Boston, BU offers more money.

In short,

Research fit: BU >= BC

Placement: BU >> BC

Funding: BU > BC

I am not able to find any factor that BC clearly dominates BU.

If you did not decided the field you may specialize, I think BU is more clever choice. Because the gap b/w int'l faculty of both schools is greater than the one b/w micro theory faculty (and BC's micro faulty is, actually, 'limited' to matching theory).

Class size is just an indicator of relationship b/w professors and students. I read a post that most of BC professors do not care students and students have to be self-mastered (I cannot find it now -i Since the post is quite informative, it may help you..). However I didn't heard anything about how BU professors care students