Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for Masters in Economics LSE

pocketecon

Hello, I am interested in the 2 year MSC Economics Program at LSE. My goal is to pursue a PhD thereafter. These are my profile details.

Undergraduate: NYU Stern

Majors: Finance and Mathematics (double degree)

GPA: 3.83/4.00 (summa cum laude)

Math GPA: 3.95/4.00

Math Coursework: Analysis I, Algebra I, Probability and Statistics, ODE, Linear Algebra, Calc 1-3

Econ Coursework: Economics of Global Business, Microeconomics

(grades are A+ in everything except for A in Analysis)

Honors Thesis: Did a year long thesis under the selective Honors Thesis program

Postgraduate: IIM A/B/C (top 3 MBA program in India)

GPA: 6.92/9.00

Coursework: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics (A in Micro and Macro and B in Econometrics)

GRE: Q: 168 V: 162

LORs: Weak (will get them from my postgraduate professors who don't know me that well plus its been 2 years since I graduated)

Work Experience: 2 years in family business in commodity trading

Target Programs (in order of preference):

1. LSE MSc Economics

2. UCL MSc Economics

Are my credentials sufficient to give a shot at LSE MSC econ ? I plan to apply by December end this year. Will that be too late? Should I wait out a year and work on some of the weak areas such as LORs?

Full disclosure: Everything I'm about to say is based off of dozens of past applicant profiles I've seen and their respective admission reports.

1) It seems like your undergrad grades won't be an issue for any school, nor will your GRE (Although getting at least a 4.5 on AWA is pretty important). I don't know much about the grading system in India but from all accounts it seems stricter than the US, as I'm sure programs are aware of.

2) The only hole I see in your application is the LOR (Which seem to be the difference makers for adcoms in top program). But the good news is that you seem to be an excellent student. If you can warm relations with your potential letter writers then I'd think you'll be fine. Just make sure you don't let them submit "lukewarm" letters, that'll send a really bad signal.

Can you not cull some LoRs (thesis adviser? profs from your current school?) and apply this cycle? LoRs appear to be the most glaring defect in your profile but otherwise with your undergrad record is competitive for Top 20.

Given your academic background, I think you should apply for the 1YR EME and consider completing an RA gig in the US the year after. Would be much better than the 2YR Econ option you're pursuing now.

Preface: I have a masters from LSE

You should know that the two-year program is aimed primarily at students who have minimal economics experience. I am not sure how economics courses would be treated in an MBA program (if they are real or a joke), but if they are at least at the level of intermediate undergraduate economics courses in the states, then you have enough background for the one-year program.

You could probably be accepted for the EME, but you should know that it is soul-crushingly brutal (even regular econ is reasonably brutal so be ready to work). You get to pick 1st and second choice when applying so if you get rejected from EME, you could still get in the normal.

I am not a PhD student so take my opinion here with a grain of salt, but it looks like more math and an RA stint may even serve you better. You have an acceptable but not fancy amount of math (no analysis II, no complex analysis, no topology, no optimization, no measure-theoretic probability----not that you really need them but they would help you stand out). And a RA stint would give you the letters you need (hopefully)

Best of Luck

@specious thanks, an RA gig is something I did not consider till now but now I will definitely give more thought to it

@impliedvol I can't take any more math courses since I'm out of college. An RA stint post the Masters is a valuable suggestion which should help me get strong LORs. Thank you for the advice

Others - thank you for your valuable inputs and suggestions, they have definitely cooled down some nerves for me!