Urch Forums

Canadian Application Sweat Thread

aascd

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've applied for MA Economics at U of T, McGill and Queen's (+ LSE MSc. Economics).

Great schools, very nice. I opted to apply for the MFE at U of T instead of the MA, but I have applied for the MA at Western and UBC. If you don't mind my asking, are you coming from a Canadian undergrad and if so what was your last 2 years gpa/avg?

Great schools, very nice. I opted to apply for the MFE at U of T instead of the MA, but I have applied for the MA at Western and UBC. If you don't mind my asking, are you coming from a Canadian undergrad and if so what was your last 2 years gpa/avg?

Maybe easier to just reply with a quote from a profile evaluation thread:

Type of Undergrad: Mid-level Canadian research university.

Undergrad GPA: 4.06/4.3

*Note: A grade receiving a 4.0, but an A+ grade (above 90) receives a 4.3.

GRE: 162/167/6.0 Q/V/AWA

Math Courses (Undergrad Level): Calc I-II (A+,A), Statistics I-II (A+,A), Linear Algebra (A-), Multivariate Calc for Economics(A).

Econ Courses (Core): Advanced Macro A+, Advanced Micro A+, Intermediate Micro A+ Intermediate Macro A+

Other Econ Courses: Took 6 or 7 mid to upper year econ field courses with A- to A+ in all.

Econ Courses (Grad Level): Health Economics A+

Other Courses Taken: 7 philosophy courses with A+ to A- grades. A few Poli Sci with A/A-.

LOR: Strong letter from a well-known Canadian prof (top 5 PhD, top 5% RePec, written textbooks etc.), knows me fairly well. Very strong letter from unknown prof who knows me very well.

Research Experience:

Econometrics term paper, won award for best econometrics paper.

Honours thesis (also won award for the best honours thesis).

RA (part-time) for AP after undergrad.

Working in a government research/policy position.

Teaching Experience: Private tutor for 1 year.

Research Interests: Development, Public Finance, Health, Labour

Yes, mid-sized Canadian school, with 1 year public policy work experience. My background is 4.1/4.3 in Econ classes, with all A/A+ in Linear Algebra, Calculus, Math for Economists and Stats.

Yes, mid-sized Canadian school, with 1 year public policy work experience. My background is 4.1/4.3 in Econ classes, with all A/A+ in Linear Algebra, Calculus, Math for Economists and Stats.

Nice! Obviously I’m also in the admission process - so I’m not an expert on the situation - but that seems like it would be a highly competitive profile man. Do you have a top choice?

Applied to: U of T, Queens, UBC, SFU, Western MFE, Carleton, York, Guelph, McMaster. Hoping to get an offer from on of the top schools but should for sure get a bite from the others.

Wow, you applied pretty widely! Makes me slightly nervous for my strategy of applying to only 4 schools, 3 of which are top-tier.

Anyone have any insight into when offers start coming out? I know that a lot of programs are just closing their admissions now.

Hey aascd, as Zubrus mentioned it is usually a bit later than now.

I know for the MFE program at U of T they have explicitly stated that 1st round offers will be sent out the 3rd week of Feb. Western's MA has stated they aim for 3rd or 4th week of Feb. UBC and other schools seem to state a similar timeline or a bit later. So i'd say the sweetspot is probably the last 2 weeks of Feb and the first 2 weeks of March for most schools.

Until then just kick back and try to keep your mind off it haha. To help I've picked up a lot of additional little hobbies to kill time throughout the day!

Hi I applied for Toronto's, UBC and Simon fraser's PhD programs but now I think my GRE is quite low to get into any of these. I have 164 in verbal but only 161 in quantitative. Anyone has heard of anyone with a low quant score getting in?

• 2 weeks later...