Urch Forums

Decision: Cambridge vs Mannheim vs Stockholm SSE vs McGill

straw126

Hello. Been a long time lurker, but this is my first time posting. I would love to hear from those who have similar experiences.

I have got offers from:

- Cambridge- MPhil Economic Research (1 year, PhD track)

- McGill University- PhD Economics

- Mannheim University- PhD Economics

- Stockholm School of Economics- PhD Economics

I've secured full funding (and stipend) for all but Cambridge. Yet to hear back about funding from Cambridge.

Reason for applying to the Master's program at Cambridge is to further strengthen my mathematical background and research skills, for continuation to a PhD. Additionally, I want to keep the path to US PhD open.

My research interest lies in Macroeconomics (International Macroeconomics).

With the finances being covered in the direct PhD program, the offers seem attractive. However, given other factors to consider- department strength and reputation, placement statistics, employment opportunities (for international students), student experience, among others, leaves me very confused. Any help and comments would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by straw126

Cambridge and Stockholm (SSE) seem better in rankings and also have very good reputations.

Mannheim and McGill come behind and can compete with each other.

Cambridge can lever you to top PhD programs in US, Canada, or Europe.

Do you have a deadline to make the decision?

I know very little about the other two phd programs but the econ department at McGIll is like a tier 2 to tier 3 department in Canada, after the big 4 and probably McMaster and SFU, especially when you consider it's in Quebec. Going to Cambridge would give you any chance for a better ranked university and the exit option would be better if you go to industry. But if you speak French, I would say McGIll would be considered a good choice.

Yes, honestly even though its an English university do not go to Quebec if you don't speak french.

Cambridge and Stockholm (SSE) seem better in rankings and also have very good reputations.

Mannheim and McGill come behind and can compete with each other.

Cambridge can lever you to top PhD programs in US, Canada, or Europe.

Do you have a deadline to make the decision?

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I do have a deadline on the offers, for my PhD Courses, which is Mid-March.