Urch Forums

[Need Advice]Senior Thesis VS More Math

my1433

I am an undergraduate aiming at top econ master programmes in 2019 and applying for PhD in econ or finance in 2020. I am now struggling between whether to write a thesis or take more math courses next year.

My background:

- Math/Econ courses completed/Under consideration

Cal 1-3, Linear Algebra, ODE, Probability, Econometrics, Grad Econometrics, Stochastic Process, Numerical Analysis, Grad Computational Econ (something like numerical methods with econ application), Intro math analysis, Math Econ (proof-based course with econ application), PDE

(All A/A- from a University in East Asia)

- In fact, other than the thesis, I have to write a 13-20 pages paper (excluding graphs) next year. I do not count this as a formal thesis as it is only 2 credits, and a professor is guiding ~10 students as the same time. But I should be able to get a letter from this semi-thesis stuff.

- Research Experience: Not at all now. Probably will RA for a professor this summer.

If I have to write the thesis, then I have to give up one course above, probably PDE. Does anyone here have some advice for me??

I'd recommend the thesis. Imo the idea shouldn't be to do as much math as possible, it should just be to demonstrate a certain level of comfort with math. It looks to me like you've already done that, so you should shift your focus to demonstrating that you're capable of doing research, for example by writing a thesis.

Thank you for all your inputs!! I also tend towards senior thesis, but I am worried about the difficult of writing a good thesis (though I think a good letter is almost for sure given I put my effort). What kind of math is actually needed for a senior undergraduate thesis, say, in macro?

• 3 years later...
To be honest, I have my ways to solve issues like that one. For example, when I was preparing for my graduation, I had no time at all to worry about my presentation, and the thing that I had done is not something I am really proud of, but it's a thing that define us as human-beings, pragmatism I mean. I just went to a place, termpapernow.com and they gave me everything I needed. Here you can have your assignment or dissertation done in a short amount of time. The real advantages of a place like this is that you will not lose so much time! Edited by HannahSharp