Urch Forums

Profile evaluation - Economics PhD

poli95

Hi there,

Profile:

Indian Student

Undergraduate: Business - Not well known outside home country

Percentage - 75% - Not great but not so bad.

Post Graduate Diploma - Economics - Top 5 Economics depts UK

Percentage - Distinction

Masters - Economics - Top 5 Economics depts UK

Percentage - Distinction

Math and Econ Covered - Linear Algebra, Calculus, Advanced Micro, Advanced Macro, Advanced Econometrics.

Post Graduate Diploma - Mathematics - Kings College London (Pursuing)

Percentage - Distinction (Expecting)

Math topics covered - Partial Diff Eq, Real analysis, Complex Analysis, Topology, Probability theory, Stochastic analysis, Non Linear Analysis, Fourier Analysis etc

Research Experience - Worked with a Macro professor at the UK uni at which i did my MSc as a summer intern in area of interest. Can get a good reference from him - he did his PhD at one of the top 5 US unis

GRE - Q/V/AWA - 166/154/4.5

Research Interests: International Macro, Labour economics, Macroconometrics, Monetary (Still not sure which one i will pursue)

My goal is to apply to the top 30 Economics PhD programmes. I am worried that i dont have a solid undergraduate foundation in Economics and have learned all of my basics through post graduate diplomas. Though i have a masters in Economics i am scared that adcoms might see my undergrad major and reject me. Also worried about my GRE Quant. I am planning to do an MSc in Mathematics after the Diploma in Maths, however i am ready to work as an RA for a while if necessary.

Is there something i can do to improve my chances of getting into the top30 US Econ programmes.

Please guide me.... :eager:

Thanks a lot in advance.....

You already have enough math prep. An additional MSc in Math will only paint you as being fickle-minded about what you want, in my opinion. A good gauge of your competitiveness will be to see where past students from your MSc have been placed at - the ones with Distinctions.

My comments:

1. You come from a non-US system, so as tutonic alluded to: look at others who have gone to PhD programs before you and see where they place. Your outcomes will most likely be similar. I have no idea what 75% and distinction mean.

2. You only mention 1 potential LOR. 1 "good" LOR likely won't get you into a top 30 US program.

3. Nobody really cares about what you studied in undergrad as long as you have the math (and maybe some basic econ courses).

4. Your GRE scores are fine