Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - Canadian MA

yop134

Hi, I am currently finishing my 3rd year at UofT, and I'm interested in pursuing a MA in Economics in Canada. This is my profile below - I would appreciate any advice regarding my chances at some Canadian schools for an MA:

Type of Undergrad: UofT

Undergrad GPA: 3.76/4.0

Major: Economics, Environmental Management

GRE: 168Q, 164V, AWA 5

Math Courses:

Calculus I and II (A-)

Linear Algebra (A)

Econ Courses:

Intermediate Micro (B+): (Class average was quite low at C-, which is indicated on transcript)

Intermediate Macro (A+)

Environmental Economics (A)

Public Economics (A+)

Advanced Public Economics (A+)

Econometrics (A)

Teaching Experience:

TA for Macroeconomic course for 2 years during undergrad.

Gaps in application:

- Lack of Advanced Micro and Macro is the real thing that's causing some uncertainty. I could choose to take one of these courses during the fall semester of my last year, but I can't fit the other one in. Which one would be more important? I'm assuming Advanced Micro, because my intermediate mark is the worst one I've gotten in Economics so far.

Any advice about which schools to apply to is appreciated!

You really shouldn't have any problems getting in any canadian grad school. Maybe if you want to prove you deserve better than B+ at micro you can take Advanced Micro, could help and be an assurance, but even without it my guess is that you would get acceptance to Toronto/Queens/UBC.

You really shouldn't have any problems getting in any canadian grad school. Maybe if you want to prove you deserve better than B+ at micro you can take Advanced Micro, could help and be an assurance, but even without it my guess is that you would get acceptance to Toronto/Queens/UBC.

I don't think this is entirely true, most applicants at these schools are expected to have advanced macro and micro. You also only meet the bare minimum for math courses, in fact Queens actually states on its website most applicants are expected to have ODE in addition to first year calc sequence and linear algebra. Try to talk to your dept. about taking these classes, with them you will for sure get into top Canadian schools.

I think you're a 50/50 chance at some of those schools, if you have time left to take some more advanced subjects and cement your chances that would be a great idea, like CanadianEcon said. One of my close buddies had a similar profile to you and was only accepted in one of the Canadian masters that she applied to.

I don't think this is entirely true, most applicants at these schools are expected to have advanced macro and micro. You also only meet the bare minimum for math courses, in fact Queens actually states on its website most applicants are expected to have ODE in addition to first year calc sequence and linear algebra. Try to talk to your dept. about taking these classes, with them you will for sure get into top Canadian schools.

It is true ODE would be useful, yes. The more math the better, I would say.

As for the advanced macro/micro, I talk from my personnal experience, and got offers in those three universities without any advanced macro/micro classes. So maybe I'm an exception, don't know. But anyway, if you can't fit both on your schedule, I would say advanced micro would be better to take considering your current grades.

Most Canadian undergrads offer a “math for economics” course covering multi variate calc, more advanced linear algebra and basic analysis proofs. In terms of value added and signalling for MAs, that’s probably the most relevant math course you can take. I took calc 1 and 2 plus that course and had no problems getting into top Canadian MAs.