Urch Forums

math grades evaluation for research assistants positions

econphdprep

hi all,

I'd like to get evaluations on my math grades as to how they are for applying for RA positions (positions on nber, siepr, etc.), and advice as to which electives to take.

So far:

Calculus I (A), Calculus II (A), Calculus III (A), Multivariate Analysis (A), Matrix Algebra (C, B), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A) ,Introductory Proof course ©, Discrete Math (B), Differential Equations (B), Linear Programming (W,A), Real Analysis I (A), Real Analysis II (A), Advanced Probability (A), Statistical Inference (A) Topology (A)

How does this look? I was struggling a lot but I managed to pull my grades up in more advanced courses (got As the past two semesters).

I was told by others at my school that I have solid research/programming experience, but will add onto here if needed. But for now, I'm just wondering if my math grades will give me a trouble in applying for the RA positions (my GPA is around 3.65 I believe). Also any advice as to which electives to take? (in need of 1 or 2 more)

Thanks!

Edited by econphdprep

hi all,

I'd like to get evaluations on my math grades as to how they are for applying for RA positions (positions on nber, siepr, etc.), and advice as to which electives to take.

So far:

Calculus I (A), Calculus II (A), Calculus III (A), Multivariate Analysis (A), Matrix Algebra (C, B), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A) ,Introductory Proof course ©, Discrete Math (B), Differential Equations (B), Linear Programming (W,A), Real Analysis I (A), Real Analysis II (A), Advanced Probability (A), Statistical Inference (A) Topology (A)

How does this look? I was struggling a lot but I managed to pull my grades up in more advanced courses (got As the past two semesters).

I was told by others at my school that I have solid research/programming experience, but will add onto here if needed. But for now, I'm just wondering if my math grades will give me a trouble in applying for the RA positions (my GPA is around 3.65 I believe). Also any advice as to which electives to take? (in need of 1 or 2 more)

Thanks!

Your math is enough. Maybe take more computer science/programming since RA is more practical and requires more data techniques.

• 2 weeks later...
It's good enough, in my opinion. As long as you pass the minimum bar, what matters much more is your previous research experience

thanks! it's relieving to hear that my math grades are good enough for RA positions (if that's what you meant, right?). Can I ask - what do you mean by the minimum bar?