Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - Canadian MA

nbgecon

Hi, I just finished my third year in a BA econ. Planning to apply for MA in the fall. Looking to go to one of Canada’s “Big 4”. What are my chances? Thanks

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Econ - Mid tier Canadian University

Undergrad GPA: 3.5/4

Type of Grad: NA

Grad GPA: NA

GRE: Not taken yet

Math Courses: Calculus I-IV(A+, A+, A, A); Linear Algebra I-III (A, B+, C+); ODE (A); Intro to Mathematical Reasoning (A+); Intro to probabilties (A-); Mathematical Statistics (A); Linear Programming (A); Game Theory (A-); Real Analysis (Fall 18), Stochastic Processes (Winter 19)

Econ Courses: Intro to Micro, Intermediate Micro I-II, Advanced Micro (B+, A-, A-, A); Intro to Macro, Intermediate Macro I-II, Advanced Macro (B+, A-, B+, Fall 18); Mathematical Economics I-II (A, Fall 18); Econometrics I-II (A-, Winter 18); Statistical Analysis in Economics (Fall 18); Health Economics (A+); Research Methods (A)

Other Courses: Programming and finance courses.

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: Intermediate micro TA for 1 year.

LORs: Should be ok. One from my Advanced Micro prof, one from the prof I TA’d for, and one from my Research prof.

Concerns: C+ and B+ in Linear Algebra, Macro grades and low gpa.

Applying to: U of T, Queens, UBC, Mcgill, Western, Carleton, Montréal.

Are you Canadian or PR? If you are then you have a decent shot at UofT if you do well in the last term since a lot of you key courses come from that term. If you are not, then I think it will be difficult for UofT but you probably have a chance at the other schools.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you doing an Honours BA? if not i would recommend that if you can do it in your last year upcoming. It would give you a bit of research experience and potentially a good reference. As well, as i recall a few programs asked in the application about the type of research papers i wrote in the undergraduate degree.