PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 3 Korean University in Econ

Undergrad GPA: 3.57

Type of Grad: Top 3 Korean University in Econ

Grad GPA: ~ 3.72

GRE: 155V; 170Q; 3.5W

TOEFL: 98

Math Courses:

Undergrad: Frst Year Calculus B, Linear Algebra C+, Real Analysis (B+) Linear Algebra (A+)

Econ Courses:

Grad: Macro I (A), Macro II (A) Macro I (B+) Macro II (A) Econometrics (B+) Time Series Analysis (A) Panel data Analysis (A) International Economics (A) Development (A) Industrial Organization (A) Labor economics (A)

Letters of Recommendation: 1) my advisor in MS degree. I am working for R.A and T.A for him. 2) Now, I'm writing two papers about international economy with professor in U.S.(Top 30 tenure) I will ask for a recommendation letters.

Paper: I have one published paper on tourism management (SSCI), and I got revision to another paper (SSCI)

Teaching Experience: NA

Research Interests: International economics, Development

Other:

Concerns:

1. I know my math grade is really bad to get admission from Top 20 or 30. So I will apply for the course from over top 30 (from top 30 to 60) Is this still too high?

2. I have a published paper on Tourism management (SSCI) And I'm also working a paper and got revision from journal. I wonder this published paper will help me get admission.

Out of all things, your TOEFL sticks out as being low. You can't do anything regarding your grades (and your GPA is more than enough, considering it's less important for international students), but you can retake TOEFL and get at least 105. Seriously, do it.

Is there any way you could take more math classes? I've suffered a lot in math at first (as you can see from my previous threads), but I managed to pull up my grades in core, upper-level math courses, which I was told by others that such improvement could be a positive sign to admissions (although the ideal situation would be getting A/A-'s consistently in all courses). If possible, I would suggest taking more math courses and improving your math profile.

• 1 month later...
Out of all things, your TOEFL sticks out as being low. You can't do anything regarding your grades (and your GPA is more than enough, considering it's less important for international students), but you can retake TOEFL and get at least 105. Seriously, do it.

Retake toefl? Why?

Most places explicitly require a TOEFL score of at least 25 for each section (i.e. at least 100 in total).

I agree. Thanks.

I have a question. If I get a score higher than the minimum, for example, minimum = 80 and score = 90, Will I have to retake the toefl?

Edited by d7r

I agree. Thanks.

I have a question. If I get a score higher than the minimum, for example, minimum = 80 and score = 90, I'll have to retake the toefl?

You can probably get away with it, I suppose. Notwithstanding, same case as the GRE, its best to err on the side of caution and retake it till you clear the 'minimum requirement'. You've already spent years working on your profile. What's a couple hundred dollars extra for a test?