Urch Forums

Is a master from TSE or PSE highly recognized for a top PhD in economics in the USA?

Dung Le

Hi!

My name is Dung Le and I’m from Vietnam. I have a desire to pursue a PhD in economics in a top-20 graduate school in the USA, but I feel that, with a background of undergraduate in Vietnam and having no master degree, my dream will not come true.

So I’m thinking of taking a master degree in Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) or Paris School in Economics (PSE) as an intermediate step. I have two LoRs, one from a professor at PSE and the other from a professor at TSE, so it is very likely that I will be accepted for admission from TSE and PSE.

Please help me with my questions!

1. I heard from one of my friends that TSE and PSE are respected for their theoretical and mathematics-focused teaching style and curriculums. Is this insight correct?

1. Is master degree from TSE or PSE highly recognized in top graduate school in the USA (Chicago, MIT, Stanford, …)?

1. If I study well (top 5 in class) in the Master program from TSE or PSE, is it possible for me to be admitted to top PhD in economics in the USA?

1. Between PSE and TSE, which one is best suited for me if my goal is to be admitted in top PhD in economics in the USA? Below are master programs in these two schools.

1. Public Policy and Development – PSE

PPD - Public Policy and Development - Paris School of Economics

1. Analysis and Policy in Economics - PSE

APE - Analysis and Policy in Economics - Paris School of Economics

1. Master 1 in Economics (international track) – TSE

Master 1 in economics (international track) | TSE

1. Master 1 in Econometrics and Statistics (international track) - TSE

Master 1 Econometrics and Statistics (international track) | TSE

1. In Master 1 Econometrics and Statistics (international track), I see that there are apparently two options in which the first one is Decisions Mathematics Path and the second one is Statistics and Applied Econometrics Path.

You can find the curriculums of these two paths at Master 1 Econometrics and Statistics (international track) | TSE . Please elaborate on the differences, and pros and cons between these two paths.

Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by tm_member

• 2 weeks later...

They both have a good record of placing into top 10 USD PhD programs. But it'll only be the best students in each program that end up at top 10 US PhD programs - 1-3 students per year to the top 10 US PhDs. In other words, the faculty of these schools can probably send an accurate and trusted signal, but your actual signal depends on you having better academic performance than almost your entire cohort, which is impossible for us to predict and also difficult for you to predict.

If you apply to both programs and get offers, the main factors of consideration are: (i) which program you like more; (ii) which department (TSE/PSE) you like more, because there's a decent chance that you'll eventually remain in the department as a PhD student. Other considerations are lifestyle and cost. The effect of either program on your chances to top 10 US PhD programs is less important than any of those, because it only matters to a hypothetical scenario with small ex-ante probability. (furthermore, that'd be the most optimistic scenario, and rational people should focus on hedging against pessimistic scenarios, as a type of risk aversion)

I think the best tracks for students interested in doctoral studies are "Economic Theory and Econometrics" in TSE and "APE" in PSE, but this is something you should figure out yourself by checking their websites.