Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for a Phd Econ | Canada

earth

My profile:

Master's in Economics Degree from a Top 5 University. First ranker. (12 years ago)

Research experience - 2 years in total : 1 year with a economic policy think-tank with and 1 year with a IIM, Ahmedabad professor - but both are 10 years ago

More recent Work-experience: 8 years in data analytics industry

GRE: Yet to take, but took once 12 years ago with a 1420 (710 in Quant and Verbal both)

Recommendations: 1 from the IIM professor, 1 from my Master's thesis guide and 1 more from my Master's prog prof. All are fairly well known in India, but I'm unsure of how good a recco I'd get given the time that has lapsed since i worked with them.

I am looking to immigrate to Canada with my family, and the PR (permanent residency, equivalence of a domestic student basically) application is already in pipeline. I am hoping to hear back positively by Nov/Dec 2018 latest on this. Hence, I'm looking only at Canadian schools for my studies.

My questions are as follows:

1. What are my chances to get into UBC and U of Toronto?

2. Do you know if univs give a preference to international candidates or domestic (which is what a PR should help me get)? I'm keen on UBC, but not sure how strong my profile is and if I should first wait to get the PR in hand before i apply. If any of you have insights on this point, it would be quite helpful.

3. When is the latest I should take the GRE to meet the deadlines for applying for Fall 2019 admissions?

4. Does age play on negatively in a PhD application?

Thank you all for reading through and guiding!

• 4 weeks later...
My profile:

Master's in Economics Degree from a Top 5 University. First ranker. (12 years ago)

Research experience - 2 years in total : 1 year with a economic policy think-tank with and 1 year with a IIM, Ahmedabad professor - but both are 10 years ago

More recent Work-experience: 8 years in data analytics industry

GRE: Yet to take, but took once 12 years ago with a 1420 (710 in Quant and Verbal both)

Recommendations: 1 from the IIM professor, 1 from my Master's thesis guide and 1 more from my Master's prog prof. All are fairly well known in India, but I'm unsure of how good a recco I'd get given the time that has lapsed since i worked with them.

I am looking to immigrate to Canada with my family, and the PR (permanent residency, equivalence of a domestic student basically) application is already in pipeline. I am hoping to hear back positively by Nov/Dec 2018 latest on this. Hence, I'm looking only at Canadian schools for my studies.

My questions are as follows:

1. What are my chances to get into UBC and U of Toronto?

2. Do you know if univs give a preference to international candidates or domestic (which is what a PR should help me get)? I'm keen on UBC, but not sure how strong my profile is and if I should first wait to get the PR in hand before i apply. If any of you have insights on this point, it would be quite helpful.

3. When is the latest I should take the GRE to meet the deadlines for applying for Fall 2019 admissions?

4. Does age play on negatively in a PhD application?

Thank you all for reading through and guiding!

A 710 on the old GRE is about a 155. That's not likely to work for any strong program

Have you considered doing a Canadian master's first?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to make relatively unhelpful post, but I have a question of my own to ask, If I may.

What Canadian Economics Departments have strengths in Behavioural Economics? Also, what Universities would you suggest have the strongest overall economics depts in Canada (aside from the big four namely UofT, UBC, Queens, Western).

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated.

Again, sorry to butt in!

Sorry to make relatively unhelpful post, but I have a question of my own to ask, If I may.

What Canadian Economics Departments have strengths in Behavioural Economics? Also, what Universities would you suggest have the strongest overall economics depts in Canada (aside from the big four namely UofT, UBC, Queens, Western).

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated.

Again, sorry to butt in!

I think a separate thread would’ve been more appropriate here