Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - PhD Econ

Parag Saurabh

I have a 166 Verbal, 168 Quant and 4 in Analytical. Should I retake? I plan to apply in the top ten Econ PhD programs in US and UK for Fall 2019.

A brief bio - Engineering grad (IIT) 2008, MBA (IIM A) 2011, 7 years of work ex in M&A (3.5 yrs.), Analytics (1.5), Education Startup (1.5).

Last but not the least, I would be turning 33 this October. What are my chances?

Some more information:

I had a paper published in Asia-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering during my graduation in 2009 (if that helps). I can get a recommendation from my mentor prof who was cowriter in this paper. Should I try working with a professor from my MBA college for a working paper in Economics?

In my MBA,

Finance & Economics - Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Financial Markets, Economic Environment & Policymaking, Industrial Economics, Futures Options & Risk Management, Asset Backed Securities, Trading Strategies, Capital Market Theory, International Finance

Maths - Probability & Statistics

In my engineering

Finance & Economics - 2 introductory courses each in Economics & Finance

Maths - Ordinary & Partial Differential Equations, Transform Calculus, Integral Calculus, Differential Calculus, Complex / Vector etc.

Took economics in high school as well

Recommendations

My mentor prof from engineering would give a good recommendation. I planned to get the other recommendations from my reporting managers. Expect a good reco from them. Lastly, am thinking of doing a short internship with a professor from my MBA college. Hope to get a reco from him.

What math and economics courses have you had? What will your letters of recommendation look like and who will write them?

What math and economics courses have you had? What will your letters of recommendation look like and who will write them?

I had tried to reply earlier but somehow it didn't get published. Re-stating the same:

I have taken a number of courses in economics right from high school to college and then in my MBA. These range from very basic ones - Microeconomics and Macroeconomics to advanced ones - Economic Environment and Policy Making, Industrial Economics etc. I have also done a number of courses in finance that could qualify as Economics - Capital Market Theory, International Financial Markets, FORM (Futures, Options & Risk Management), Asset-backed securitization, Trading Strategies etc.

Regarding recommendations, I could get one from my undergrad professor (I have co-authored a paper with him in an international publication) and I am planning to do a short research internship with one of my MBA professors. I could also get from my manager when I was working in M&A.