Urch Forums

Can a foreigner apply for a full-time RA position?

jellyfishxmath

Hi,

Title says it all!

I did my undergrad in the U.S. and graduated with research-oriented masters in Germany this year. Due to language barriers and limited options, I can't stay in Germany to pursue academic work. Given I don't have enough funds for PhD applications (those U.S. application fees do add up!), I want to apply next year. For the mean time, I was wondering if I can apply a full-time RA position in the US. Do you think it's possible to obtain it without being a PhD. student?

Some of these positions will sponsor a visa, some won't. It depends on the circumstances of the job - importantly where the funding for the position is coming from and whether that source can support a visa. Postings may state clearly whether they can or cannot sponsor a visa; if they don't, I think you're within your rights to reach out to the contact email and clarify whether they can sponsor a visa before you send in an application.

See the link below for a centralized page that lists a number of great positions.

Research Assistant Positions not at the NBER