Urch Forums

Stipend amounts at PhD in Economics programs

Okay

Hello guys,

I am interested in knowing the amount of funding (yearly stipend) that each school in top 30 provides to admitted students. I was trying to get this information via looking at gradcafe posts, but the information there is not complete. Can you share your information?

Let me start first:

NYU: $34,000 is common

UCLA: $20,000-$27,000

UMich: $20,000-$23,000

UW-Madison: $22,000-$28,000

Cornell: $25,000-$32,000

Penn State: $28,000 is common

Texas-Austin: $16,000-$18,000

UNC: $18,000-$21,000

Hello guys,

I am interested in knowing the amount of funding (yearly stipend) that each school in top 30 provides to admitted students. I was trying to get this information via looking at gradcafe posts, but the information there is not complete. Can you share your information?

Let me start first:

NYU: $34,000 is common

UCLA: $20,000-$27,000

UMich: $20,000-$23,000

UW-Madison: $22,000-$28,000

Cornell: $25,000-$32,000

Penn State: $28,000 is common

Texas-Austin: $16,000-$18,000

UNC: $18,000-$21,000

They all pay just enough to live humbly in their location with the top 10 schools (plus a few select programs such as Penn State) paying about 50-70% more. Although they tend to be in super expensive places (NY, Boston, LA, and so on). The amount of money you will get only matters on the margin.

• 1 month later...
They all pay just enough to live humbly in their location with the top 10 schools (plus a few select programs such as Penn State) paying about 50-70% more. Although they tend to be in super expensive places (NY, Boston, LA, and so on). The amount of money you will get only matters on the margin.

Right now Yale and Chicago pay *significantly* more than other top 20 econ programs once you adjust for cost of living. Maybe close to a 70-100% bonus right now.

Just based on the stuff I've read on last year's thread here, as well as Gradcafe posts and EJMR. Admittedly, they aren't exactly trustworthy in the strictest sense of the word, but what from what I recall, there was a full round of offers made in late-March that were mostly unfunded for first year. If I recall, there was a guy that accepted an unfunded first-year Berkeley offer last year from here. Maybe we can get him to chime in.