Urch Forums

When is too late to start a phd?

vpm

Hello everyone.

I want to do a change of career in 180 degrees. This year I received my bachelor degree in law, and I hope to star the next year a four-year bachelor program in economics (from a Chilean university, with a strong math preparation)

My main concern consists in the age at which I would be ready to apply to a Phd program, which will be 30.

Is it too late to give it a try?

What I want to do is, eventually, research/work in the development economics field and/or economic history.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your comment.

I should say that this year has been a kind of conundrum. I considered, at first, do some math courses and then apply to a master; nevertheless, here (in my country) it's difficult to get just the math courses as an "outsider" of the degree programs.

After the bachelor's, it would be mandatory to do a master in economics?

My impression is that the "maximum age" to enter a PhD program, should there even be such a thing, regardless, would be dependent on each institution's core values and philosophies... my guess is that if you were 70 years old, Harvard wouldn't accept you because the time you have left in your life to make use of the prestigious degree is rather limited, and they would rather confer a PhD degree to someone who can increase value in society with their educational assets... but maybe state schools, etc. don't have an age limit?