Profile Evaluation for lower ranked Economics programs

edwards3rdid

Type of Undergrad: Economics B.S. at regional university

Undergrad GPA: 4.0/4.0

Type of Grad:N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 157Q

Math Courses: Cal I - III, Differential Equations, Statistics

Econ Courses: Econometrics, Intermediate Microeconomic Analysis, Intermediate Macroeconomic Analysis, other elective economics courses

Letters of Recommendation: Should be strong

Research Experience: Two conference presentations of original research.

Concerns: GRE quant score is a problem. I do well in math classes but found the timing on the GRE difficult and didn't feel a retake would have helped score any.

Applying to: I understand the competitiveness of these programs and realize the GRE will likely screen me out of some programs. Applying to a wide range of schools.

Edited by Erin
By request of OP

From anecdotal evidence, I had a colleague who had low quant GRE scores and got into a Phd program around 75-50. So I definitely think its possible, The hard part is whether your low GRE scores will result in adcoms simply throwing your application before they look at it. A 157 is 67th percentile.... Your advisor will definitely need to reach out for you to have a chance. Obviously the best path would be to retake the GRE and achieving mid 80th percentile is good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Definately a relief. I have heard from 2 schools. Early acceptance at one with funding, and contacted by another for a fellowship nomination (not officially accepted yet). The early acceptance was one of 2 top choices so I accepted. I honestly feel silly for applying to so many programs now (22).

For those interested, my concern was gre scores. The school I got into had a mean gre quant of 163, I got in with a 157, so it is possible.