Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for US phd economics

leolin

I have applied to top 20-40 programs of the US for 2019 entry, but I do wish to know how strong I am in the applicant pool, and whether I would have a chance of entering into top 20 if I take more maths courses and retake GRE in 2020's entry.

Type of Undergrad: Honours in Economics at the top university of New Zealand. Well-known in Australasia, relatively unknown worldwide.

Undergrad GPA: 8.4/9 for all econ, maths and stats courses

Type of Grad:N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: Verbal 148, Quant 168, Analytical 4.

Math Courses: 2nd year Advancing Mathematics 2 (A+, which covers linear algebra and univariate calculus), 2nd year Advancing Mathematics 3 (A, which covers linear algebra and multivariate calculus), 2nd year Principles of Mathematics (B+), 2nd year Differential Equations (A), 3rd year Real Analysis (A+), 3rd year Higher Dimensional Analysis (A-), 3rd year Mathematical Statistics (A), 3rd year Stochastic Processes (A+), 4th year Probability Theory (A+).

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): 2nd&3rd year micro (A+), 2nd&3rd year macro (A+), 2nd&3rd year metric (A+), 3rd year International Trade, International Macro (all A+), 4th year micro (A), 4th year macro (A), 4th year Time Series (A+), 4th year IO (A+), 4th year Macro Topics (A)

Other Courses: Finance courses which are all A+

Letters of Recommendation: Thesis advisor (known in Australasia, unknown worldwide), Probability Theory professor (well-known in the field of theoretical probability), 4th year micro and IO professor (super well-known in the field of IO)

Research Experience: Only one Honours thesis in theoretical IO. The thesis itself was excellent, which has been presented in international conference and had received many positive comments.

Teaching Experience: TA for 2nd year micro once

Research Interests: IO, Micro theory, Search and Matching theory

Concerns: My inferior GRE verbal score, and no RA experience whatsoever.

Coding skills: Basically zero other than LaTex

I hope to know everyone's opinion towards my profile, and I will also post my application result once available.

Edited by leolin

How is it possible for you to get 0 coding skills? That is really weird. Grad level macro involves a lot of coding....

And also, I have heard multiple threads and from people I know saying that do not get letters from math teachers. You might want to think about changing that.

How is it possible for you to get 0 coding skills? That is really weird. Grad level macro involves a lot of coding....

And also, I have heard multiple threads and from people I know saying that do not get letters from math teachers. You might want to think about changing that.

My 4th year macro courses only touches on the simplest dynamic programming which one could computed by hand. I admit that is not good. If I do start learning coding skills, how would you suggest me to start?

Also why shouldn't we get LOR from maths teachers in general?