Urch Forums

Course retakes

econhappy

Linear Algebra original grade: C

Multivariable Calc original grade: P

IB Math (calc): taken in high school (don't even recall my grade...A or B

Just took "Linear Algebra and Real Analysis": A-

Should I retake a standalone Linear Algebra course? Should I go back and take undergraduate Calc 2 & Differential Eqs? At this point is it sufficient to just retake Multivariable Calculus?

Also-

Micro theory: B+

Macro theory: C+

Should I retake Macro or Micro? These were both the 'more advanced' versions of micro and macro available to undergrads but this is not necessarily clear from the course names.

My guess is you don't need to retake the standalone Linear Algebra course because the one you got an A- does seem more rigorous and you did rather well in that one. Maybe take a letter grade multivariable calc, and diff eq should be good too. Macro grade probably should be higher, at least a solid B. Have you taken any Statistics courses? Many programs require at least a semester of statistics too.

My guess is you don't need to retake the standalone Linear Algebra course because the one you got an A- does seem more rigorous and you did rather well in that one. Maybe take a letter grade multivariable calc, and diff eq should be good too. Macro grade probably should be higher, at least a solid B. Have you taken any Statistics courses? Many programs require at least a semester of statistics too.

Thank you for that advice! I have taken Stats, I did poorly the first time but got an A- the second time. I also took "Economic Statistics and Econometrics" and did well.

Linear Algebra original grade: C

Multivariable Calc original grade: P

IB Math (calc): taken in high school (don't even recall my grade...A or B

Just took "Linear Algebra and Real Analysis": A-

Should I retake a standalone Linear Algebra course? Should I go back and take undergraduate Calc 2 & Differential Eqs? At this point is it sufficient to just retake Multivariable Calculus?

Also-

Micro theory: B+

Macro theory: C+

Should I retake Macro or Micro? These were both the 'more advanced' versions of micro and macro available to undergrads but this is not necessarily clear from the course names.

What level PhD program are you aiming for? These are not the grades that one usually sees for people applying to most programs. Are you now generally getting A- or above? If not, are you sure that an econ PhD is right for you?

What level PhD program are you aiming for? These are not the grades that one usually sees for people applying to most programs. Are you now generally getting A- or above? If not, are you sure that an econ PhD is right for you?

See http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/160718-profile-evaluation-strengthening.html for my profile. I am sure I want to pursue this, if I don't get IN then I'll reconsider. I am no longer in college, so I can't say what i'm generally getting but I got an A- in my last course and am fairly certain I'll maintain that level of performance in any retakes.

Thanks for the link. Your grades don't look at all competitive for top ten schools, but potentially that can be overcome by letters of recommendation. If you haven't already done so, take the list of places you'd like to apply to your thesis advisor and your current research supervisor and see what they say. Ask them whether you should broaden out the list. This makes it easy for them to tell you whether you are overshooting. In addition, you bring up the possibility of being an RA for three years. You might want to do that and take first-year PhD micro at the same time. Acing that would go a long way toward convincing admission committees that the low grades aren't the real you.

Thanks for the link. Your grades don't look at all competitive for top ten schools, but potentially that can be overcome by letters of recommendation. If you haven't already done so, take the list of places you'd like to apply to your thesis advisor and your current research supervisor and see what they say. Ask them whether you should broaden out the list. This makes it easy for them to tell you whether you are overshooting. In addition, you bring up the possibility of being an RA for three years. You might want to do that and take first-year PhD micro at the same time. Acing that would go a long way toward convincing admission committees that the low grades aren't the real you.

I agree with startz's opinion. Admission to top programs is already pretty idiosyncratic for people who have near perfect profiles on paper. Red flags will need to be overcome by a rec writer, and since you currently only have two it is critical you get a solid third.

The other angle, which startz hinted at, is whether you enjoy/can handle formal math. Not just on a signaling level but also for when you get in and have to do the math. You just took the real analysis class and say you expected an A- or B+. Were the parts that were difficult for you the proof parts? Did you enjoy or at least find tolerable the proof parts? because those will represent much of your first year life (at least that's what I have experienced so far).

Sorry if my questions come off as harsh - not trying to be, just trying to be honest and helpful. I knew I was on the fence about some of these questions and I am glad people forced me to understand what I was jumping into beforehand.