Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does winning a competitive funding prize increase chance of admissions?

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Does winning a competitive funding prize increase chance of admissions?

Sponsored Ad:
    This varies widely across programs. Definitely not “most.”

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

As startz said, things vary considerable across departments. However, from what I know about department budgets, and this is by no means comprehensive, fellowships do not always pay for things like tuition and other fees. The problem then is that adding on another student, even if they can pay their living expenses, can eat away tens of thousands of dollars in tuition for the department of their award does not cover tuition.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Another anecdote that may not be relevant to OP's case. I know a person who was rejected frim MIT, won NSF and was then admitted. But MIT is known to use the NSF as a signal for their American applicants.

Anyways OP, if you give us more information about the award then we can probably provide a more accurate assessment.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Chiming in with what Zubrus said, it is well-known that MIT pays attention to the NSF. However, in addition to the prestige of the NSF, there is also Kaysa's point. The NSF pays a very nice stipend ($34,000/year) and makes a modest payment to the university ($12,000) to cover tuition. So it's quite a bit of money saved from the university's budget.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    This varies widely across programs. Definitely not “most.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaysa View Post
    As startz said, things vary considerable across departments. However, from what I know about department budgets, and this is by no means comprehensive, fellowships do not always pay for things like tuition and other fees. The problem then is that adding on another student, even if they can pay their living expenses, can eat away tens of thousands of dollars in tuition for the department of their award does not cover tuition.
    Thanks! This is interesting info. I guess I've been biased based on programs that people around me attend.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you for the replies! I believe most of you understand that since I am the sole winner, any potential member of the admissions committee who visits the forum can easily identify me and my posts. I know that this need not be negative, it might as well be seen as positive, but I just don't want to risk it. I know that curiosity is strong among you and I am sorry for keeping it a mystery.

Anyway, the award will allow me to have an easier life for the first two years, not necessarily lessen the load on funding offered by the program. I have applied only to top 20 programs, all of which have some form of funding, given that I would not be able to study otherwise. My point was, will they take this award into consideration while reviewing my app? It was awarded after the deadline, but since it is restrictive, and some schools have by know confirmed that they know what it is through the congratulatory mail for it, I hope it may give some additional external validation to my application.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information