Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for Canada PhD programs

Tqhung1994

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. (honors) Economics at relatively known school in California (UCSD)

Undergrad GPA: 3.55/4

Type of Grad: M.A. Economics, Simon Fraser University (Vancouver)

Grad GPA: 3.67/4 (first term)

GRE: is not required

Math Courses (all undergrad): Statistics I (A), Calculus (3 semesters) (A A A), Linear algebra (A)

Undergrad econ courses: 2 semesters Macroeconomics (A B+), 3 semesters Microeconomics (B- A A), Intermediate Micro (A), 3 semesters Econometrics (A+ B+ A+), Game Theory (A), Decisions under uncertainty (B-), Mathematical Economics (A-), Economic Development (A), Monetary Economics (B+), Financial Martkets (B), Demographic Analysis and Forecasting (B+)

Grad econ courses: Advanced micro (A), Theoretical Econometrics (B), Economics Taxation (A)

Letters of Recommendation: Econ grad dept chair at grad school, Econometrics prof at grad school, Econometrics prof at UCSD (class I got A+), all three letters are likely not very strong.

Research Experience: none

Teaching Experience: TA in the second year and TA during grad school (undergrad statistics/undergrad maths/undergrad intermediate macro/grad advanced macro)

Research Interests: Behavioral Economics,Monetary Economics

SOP: Average

Concerns: No research experience and average/low GPA, low Econometrics grades

Coding skills: Stata

Applying to : (All Ph.D. except for 1) SFU, Calgary, McMaster, Queen's, Western Ontario, McGill, UBC MSc in Finance, UBC Ph.D. in Strategic Economics (Business Administration)

Could you guys and gals please comment on my chance of getting in to these schools?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

I’m not a Canadian citizen.

Sorry for this perhaps a dump question, what is the Big 4? I assume the Big 4 includes u of t, ubc, queens and western. If so, then the answer for your question is no, I got into SFU right after my undergrad degree at UCSD.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

I’m not a Canadian citizen.

Sorry for this perhaps a dump question, what is the Big 4? I assume the Big 4 includes u of t, ubc, queens and western. If so, then the answer for your question is no, I got into SFU right after my undergrad degree at UCSD.

These schools have ridiculous quotas for non-Canadian citizens, which is why you didn't get into them. Queen's and U of T literally accept 2-4 a year for their graduate programs.

Unfortunately, you probably won't get into one of them (though it is certainly possible -- I just wouldn't hold my breath for it).

• 3 weeks later...
I believe Citizenship/PR only matters in universities from Ontario. They have quota in admitting international students. I'm from uoft MA Econ. Based on your GPA, I believe it would be almost impossible for you to be admitted here since I know many competitive students from our program applying to phd this year. UBC could be also hard. Queen's and western would be very difficult as you are not a citizen/pr. But I notice you are also applying to BSchools, which have more funding and they probably don't have a quota for internationals. But it seems they value research experience a lot.

Do you know what a competitive GPA for an MA econ is for Canadian citizens based on what you had/classmates?

I'm applying this year and I've seen people saying they got rejected with a 3.8 and others saying they got in with a 3.65 which makes it really difficult for me to determine my chances...

(Specifically for U of T)

Do you know what a competitive GPA for an MA econ is for Canadian citizens based on what you had/classmates?

I'm applying this year and I've seen people saying they got rejected with a 3.8 and others saying they got in with a 3.65 which makes it really difficult for me to determine my chances...

(Specifically for U of T)

For Canadian applicants to these MA programs I don't think that your cumulative GPA matters that much but more so your grades in relevant courses. Also I think the ranking of your undergraduate program matters quite a bit too.

I applied to Canadian masters programs last year and was accepted at U of T with good funding (12k scholarship + 10k TA). When I applied I only had a 3.5 cumulative GPA but I had a 3.9 in economics and math courses. I did my undergrad at a top 4 econ program in Canada and from what I've heard they typically require a much higher GPA from lower ranked programs.