Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Bad undergrad GPA and excellent masters GPA

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Bad undergrad GPA and excellent masters GPA

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi, I am an international student (Iran) and I want to apply for masters or Ph.D. degree in economics in Canada. But I am in a complicated situation.
    my bachelor degree is in Mathematics with a low GPA (2.50/4). I changed my field for masters and studied economics with a great GPA (4/4). (both in on of the best universities in Iran). I prefer to study masters of economics again in Canada. But honestly, I don't know it is the right decision or not. My bachelor GPA is lower than all the university requirement. if I apply for masters degree again would they consider my masters GPA or Bachelor GPA? Am I eligible to be admitted to one of the universities?

Furthermore, If I want to study Ph.D., how much my undergraduate GPA is important?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Bad undergrad GPA and excellent masters GPA

Hi,

When your major in your undergrad and masters is the same, the uni will definitely weigh your masters grades more. Since your major in your undergrad was in Math, which is definitely harder than economics, it may not count much against you. Try to explain what happened in your undergrad. If your grades were poor in a particular year, then explain what happened. It would be harder to explain if you did poorly throughout your undergrad. Also in your math degree it would help if you did well on modules like real analysis, topology and statistics related modules since these are given importance. If you did badly on pure math modules and did well on the above listed ones, you should be fine. Also try to get a good gre quant score. At least 166. I would encourage you to apply. With good references from econ profs and good gre scores you might have a chance.
    All the best!

Thread Information