Urch Forums

Rochester/BU/PSU in Macro

Steve

Hi, wish I can get some help or thoughts....

I got offers from these schools but cannot see which one is dominant. My current interest is in macro, and rochester seems to be good at it traditionally. But BU has more advantage in location (which also means expensive to live). Although psu is a rising department with pretty good funding, I'm not sure of its marco performance.....Many thanks for sharing

Hi Steve! Same offers here lol. As far as what I know, if you are only interested in macro, maybe Rochester is still better. People say that they get very close interactions with professors there. BU certainly has a better location, however. But some say that they're not as strong as before as well in macro coz there seems to be no leader. Everyone says PSU is strong in trade, metrics and theory (micro), but the choice in macro might be a bit limited. Just for your information. Hope you can make a good choice!

Hi Steve! Same offers here lol. As far as what I know, if you are only interested in macro, maybe Rochester is still better. People say that they get very close interactions with professors there. BU certainly has a better location, however. But some say that they're not as strong as before as well in macro coz there seems to be no leader. Everyone says PSU is strong in trade, metrics and theory (micro), but the choice in macro might be a bit limited. Just for your information. Hope you can make a good choice!

Thank you cwlst! I agree with you and actually I'm inclined to rochester. But I've heard that rochester is not as influential as before, do you think we should consider this (hypothetic) trend in the future?

Anyway I really appreciate your sharing and wish you have the best choice. Maybe we end up in the same program lol

Thank you cwlst! I agree with you and actually I'm inclined to rochester. But I've heard that rochester is not as influential as before, do you think we should consider this (hypothetic) trend in the future?

Anyway I really appreciate your sharing and wish you have the best choice. Maybe we end up in the same program lol

Hi, umm, yes, IMO we should consider the trend as well, especially we should look at the placement I guess. PSU seems to have the best placement record among these three, but your interest is certainly more important - if you do well and become a star then you'll definitely end up in a good place. I may be slightly inclined to PSU at the moment as I find trade and 'metrics interesting, but I am also struggling on the location lol. Boston seems to be very appealing to be honest.

Overall, those three are very close... Rochester is probably the macro standout, PSU trade, and BU 'metrics. The BU location would be very nice though... there would be an abundance of great seminars in the area.

• 2 weeks later...