Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Profile Review

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Profile Review

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi,

I applied to PhD in Economics programs but no luck so far (0a/6r/3ir). As such, I'd like to know what I could do to increase my odds to get in next year.

I graduated in Maths with Economics (Bsc Honours) with a 2.1 from Exeter (GPA 3.3). I had medical issues before and during my studies and therefore couldn't attend more than a couple classes per year.
    Got a Master in Economics and Experimental Economics from the same uni (1st class, GPA 3.83)

After that, I've worked for 4 months with JPAL, 1.5 years with IPA, 2.5 years with the Institute for Development Studies and a year with the World Bank, and should be coauthoring a couple of papers this year.

Letters of recommendation from 2 econ profs from my masters' program (7 years ago) and from a couple of political scientist from top schools (Toronto and NYU)

Unfortunately, it seems that work experience cannot compensate my low undergraduate grades from a second-tier school. Any suggestions as what I could to improve my application for next year would be more than welcome.

Thanks

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Review

You should have at least one letter from an economist who you worked for doing research. Also, talk to the economists you have worked with about whether you were aiming too high in your applications.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Where did you apply?

I think the best foot forward is to apply to a lower range of schools as you seem to have a lot of research experience (which can remedy poor grades).

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

is a 2.1 your Math and Econ GPA during undergrad? (Just making sure I'm understanding the situation correctly.) I would also say that your recommendation letters should mostly come from the economists you did research with during those years.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by needshelp View Post
    is a 2.1 your Math and Econ GPA during undergrad? (Just making sure I'm understanding the situation correctly.) I would also say that your recommendation letters should mostly come from the economists you did research with during those years.
    It's the UK degree classification system - it's the second highest classification possible so is consistent with about a 3.7 GPA on the US system.

Thread Information