Urch Forums

2020, Maybe 2021 Profile Of One of my friends

kingofsartre

Hi all,

One of my friends in my Master's program wants to know what kinds of schools he should looking at:

Undergraduate: Boston University

School: Questrom School of Business

Major: Finance

GPA: 3.14

Graduate: Boston University

Major: Economics

GPA: 3.2

Economics Classes Taken: Undergraduate Micro/Macro: B/B, Master's Level Micro/Macro: B/B Master's Level Econometrics/Statistics: B/B Master's Level Grad Electives: B+/A-/A- Master's Level Economists for Mathematics: B PHD-level Macro: B+

Math Classes Taken: Calc I/II/III: A/A/A Linear Algebra: A- Intro to Analysis I/II: A/B+ Probability and Statistics: B

GRE: Q 167/V 158/W 5.5

Research Experience: Two years of Experience Working with a BU Econ professor

Recommendations: Two BU Econ Professors (one whom is ranked in the top 200 of all economists) and the BU instructor for Analysis (Full Professor at BU in Mathematics)

Interest: Macroeconomics, Monetary Economics

What kinds of programs should he be looking at?

Edited by kingofsartre

It would be helpful to know what research experience your friend has, and if the professors writing his letters view him as one of their top students. It is good he has a top economist writing a letter, but will that top economist be willing to say something along the lines of "this student was in the top x% of students I have taught?" It is those sorts of almost quantitative comparisons that make letters really valuable.

I just asked him about your question. His research experience mostly involves your usual STATA/R data stuff on top of editing manuscripts of the professor he was working with. He told me that the top economist recommended that he apply to "top PHD programs" before finding out about his subpar grades. The other two will also be very good letters from what he told me.

I think the grades will make it highly unlikely to be admitted in the top 30, and is still quite likely an issue for 30-60 or so though I'm a little less familiar with these. Someone else should chime in who is more familiar there.

Your friend should get opinions from BU professors and weigh these heavily, probably more so than what you hear here.

I think the grades will make it highly unlikely to be admitted in the top 30, and is still quite likely an issue for 30-60 or so though I'm a little less familiar with these. Someone else should chime in who is more familiar there.

Your friend should get opinions from BU professors and weigh these heavily, probably more so than what you hear here.

Thanks! He has read the few posts here and will probably talk to his professors about a range.