Urch Forums

MSc Economics: Stockholm School of Economics vs Bocconi

nina

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a third year Econ student at Bocconi trying to decide what to do next year (and with my life in general).

I got an offer for SSE's MSc in Economics and it would not be a problem for me to get into Bocconi's MSc as well (although I won't be able to get a scholarship) so I'm trying to decide between the two. I also applied to other places: I applied to a double Econ MSc Sciences Po-Sorbonne, which I don't really like, and I got an offer from Stockholm Uni which I won't accept, so I think those two are my best options (I didn't apply to UK unis because the costs are prohibitive for me and other places because I was looking for a two-year MSc).

I would like to get a PhD in Economics after my master's, maybe in the US. I spent a semester at SSE so I know what the two schools are like and I actually already accepted SSE's offer as I didn't want to stay here, but after looking a bit on the internet and especially on this forum I think Bocconi is a better choice considering getting a PhD in the future: highly rank, the program is very quantitative and usually places student at top PhD programs.

The main reason for me not wanting to stay here is that I know my life would be miserable for the next two years, as I would have to live with my parents and spend 10+ hours/day in the class or the library like I do now, plus I would have to pay 14k per year (I would pay no tuition fees as a EU citizen at SSE).

What do you think of SSE's Econ MSc? How does it compare to Bocconi? Do you think I would have similar chances in terms of PhD or is there a significant difference between the two?

Thanks in advance