See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phd in Economics - Fall 2020 Cycle

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Phd in Economics - Fall 2020 Cycle

Sponsored Ad:
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Economics (Major) with Math (Minor) from Top-80 ranked Econ program in the US (large - public research university)
    Undergrad GPA: 3.90/4.00 overall ( 4.00 in Econ, 3.80 in Math) - Summa Cum Laude
    Type of Grad: M.A. in Economics from Top - 3 Canadian
    Grad GPA :4.0/4.0
    GRE: GRE: Q169 / V162 / AWA 4.5

Econ Courses :Principles of Micro (A+), Principles of Macro (A), Intermediate micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A),Econometrics (A+), Mathematical Economics (A) and many more (all A's / A+ 's)

Math Courses: Calc 1-3 (A-,A,A), Abstract Algebra(A+), Probability theory (A), Mathematical Statistics (A-), Linear Algebra (A+), Differential Equations (B+), Theoretical Concepts of Calculus (A+), Complex Analysis (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level):
    Micro -Thoery (92/100), Macro Theory (94/100), Econometrics -I (91/100), Quantitative methods (94/100), Labor Economics, International Trade, Econometrics - II, Financial Econometrics (All in progress)

LOR's : From Grad Micro, Macro, Metrics Proff ( all from top-20 US). Should be good because I was at the top of the cohort in their classes and they know me well

Research Experience: Summer thesis

Appyling to : Top 5 Canadian ( I am a Canadian PR), Top-20 US.

Concerns : (i) Time lag between between undergrad and grad ( I was working for about 5 years)
    (ii) Strength of undergrad program ( Econ department not that reputed )
    (iii) More math classes ? Missing Real analysis but took Complex Analysis Instead.
    (iv) Lack of publication / solid research experience

Any comments or advice on my chances will be greatly appreciated ( especially which schools I have realistic chance at and what areas I can improve)

Thanks.

Muzzled.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Phd in Economics - Fall 2020 Cycle

I think more proof-based maths courses will strengthen your profile a lot, and I believe real analysis is a must;

I wouldn't worry about lack of publication if I were you, but only one summer thesis does not prepare you for research very well. Will your thesis supervisor write you a LOR?

Try to get some RA experience to improve your not-so-solid research experience.

What is your job for the 5-year time lag? If that somehow includes some research experience you might be fine with it.

With your current profile, I'm not sure if you have a fair chance with UBC or UoT. But for other Canadian schools you should be fine in my view. Top 20 PhD programs in the US might be out of reach with your current profile, unless your 5-year job includes significant research experience. I would suggest you apply for Top 40 US programs, and you might be waitlisted for some Top 20 programs.

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by leolin View Post
    I think more proof-based maths courses will strengthen your profile a lot, and I believe real analysis is a must;

I wouldn't worry about lack of publication if I were you, but only one summer thesis does not prepare you for research very well. Will your thesis supervisor write you a LOR?

Try to get some RA experience to improve your not-so-solid research experience.

What is your job for the 5-year time lag? If that somehow includes some research experience you might be fine with it.

With your current profile, I'm not sure if you have a fair chance with UBC or UoT. But for other Canadian schools you should be fine in my view. Top 20 PhD programs in the US might be out of reach with your current profile, unless your 5-year job includes significant research experience. I would suggest you apply for Top 40 US programs, and you might be waitlisted for some Top 20 programs.
    He already has an A in Complex Analysis. There's no need to take Real Analysis. The best thing to do till you apply in Fall '20 is to work as an RA for someone at the place you did your masters in. It'll get you better letters, and also remedy the deficiency in your profile (lack of research experience).

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks so much guys for all you valuable inputs and being realistic; I would definitely try to get a research job following my summer thesis. My 5 year job experience was more in teaching rather than research to be honest, so that shouldn't count for much I presume.Couple of my Math-classes have been proof-based but I wish I had real analysis ( it wasn't being offered during the term I intended to take it). Anyways, I would hedge my bet and apply to more top-30ish US and fingers crossed for UofT, UBC, Queens. I think my letters of recommendation would be solid based on the courses I took, and I would definitely try to get into research.

Good post? Yes | No

Any more valuable comments and advice will be highly recommended and appreciated. My research interests revolve around International Trade and Dynamic Macroeconomics, so any suggestions as to which schools fit well for me would be very helpful.

Muzzled.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    He already has an A in Complex Analysis. There's no need to take Real Analysis. The best thing to do till you apply in Fall '20 is to work as an RA for someone at the place you did your masters in. It'll get you better letters, and also remedy the deficiency in your profile (lack of research experience).
    Personally I don't think complex analysis could be a substitute for real analysis, even though complex analysis is more mathematically advanced than the real. Even though the logic for writing proofs is always similar, I think real analysis is more prone to Econ than complex analysis.

But yes RA is the right thing to do for sure.

Good post? Yes | No

I think your biggest issue is the 5 years gap between your undergrad and grad studies. Adcoms may think that your math skills have become blunt especially if your master's program is not known rigorous enough. But still your chances for top20 is high, I believe.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks all to your wonderful inputs. I am taking a graduate level Advanced Real Analysis Course this summer along with my research. Sounds like a good plan?.. In case, as the previous poster mentioned that the adcoms might doubt my math skills .Just to mention, the Math department at my grad school is very well reputed worldwide.

Muzzled.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Graduate real analysis is indeed what you need. You should study some measure theory in the course. If you do it very well and get to do some RA jobs before application, I'll be surprised if you could not get to any of the Top 20.

I'm not familiar with macro and trade so I could not give you specific advice on which schools to apply.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by leolin View Post
    Graduate real analysis is indeed what you need. You should study some measure theory in the course. If you do it very well and get to do some RA jobs before application, I'll be surprised if you could not get to any of the Top 20.

I'm not familiar with macro and trade so I could not give you specific advice on which schools to apply.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information