Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warwick VS Georgetown Economics PhD

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Warwick VS Georgetown Economics PhD

Sponsored Ad:
    Warwick is in the UK and GTown offers a locational advantage that is hard to beat. Any advice on choosing between the two programs will help a lot.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Warwick VS Georgetown Economics PhD

Copied from another thread asking Warwick vs something.

Warwick recently switched to 2+4 MRes + PhD programme (I think, something like 1-2 years ago), so placement-wise, there isn't any data relating to graduates from this new programme. That's something to consider, in case you don't know that.

Good post? Yes | No

Yes, I read that but it does not help me much.

Muzzled.

Good post? Yes | No

I received an offer from Georgetown but I decided to pass it because I'm not happy with their academic rigour and academic placement records. Also I suspect they are a bit bureaucratic, with their complicated instructions on how to accept an offer, how to get financial compensation for the visit day, etc.

I also applied for Warwick and never got interviewed, so I guess it's an implicit rejection. But I think Warwick is more rigorous than Georgetown academically, and it is less bureaucratic based on my previous communications with them. Their placements are unknown, so that's a risk.

Personally I would attend neither of these. But if you have to choose between these two and there are no other options for you, I would suggest Warwick if you want to have an academic career, and Georgetown if you plan to work in the industry.

But of course, DC is a far better place to live than Coventry, so unless you have a firm belief for an academic career, Georgetown might be a better choice.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by CDHE View Post
    Yes, I read that but it does not help me much.
    What I meant by that is exactly what leolin surmised, in his post above. Warwick recently switched to the 2+4 programme. Therefore, in terms of placement, there isn't anything to go on, since current placement data on Warwick wouldn't be indicative of the new programme's ability, since the old one was just 3 years of research, and little-to-no coursework requirement. So you need to really consider how risk averse you are. That being said, fundamentally, where you go to will depend on what kind of jobs you are aiming for, and also whether you wish to work in the US or the UK/EU.

Good post? Yes | No

I would choose Georgetown just because I think the environment is more enriching and stimulating! Having strict regulations wouldn't bother me because it means they have thought out what they are doing rather thoroughly and that reflects competency. You can always be a visiting researcher or scholar at another institution during your PhD program too, so I'd say go to a place that will make your life better!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by leolin View Post
    I received an offer from Georgetown but I decided to pass it because I'm not happy with their academic rigour and academic placement records. Also I suspect they are a bit bureaucratic, with their complicated instructions on how to accept an offer, how to get financial compensation for the visit day, etc.

I also applied for Warwick and never got interviewed, so I guess it's an implicit rejection. But I think Warwick is more rigorous than Georgetown academically, and it is less bureaucratic based on my previous communications with them. Their placements are unknown, so that's a risk.

Personally I would attend neither of these. But if you have to choose between these two and there are no other options for you, I would suggest Warwick if you want to have an academic career, and Georgetown if you plan to work in the industry.

But of course, DC is a far better place to live than Coventry, so unless you have a firm belief for an academic career, Georgetown might be a better choice.
    Yes, that is the exact impression I get from the two places. But these are my two choices. Also, any idea of what the living costs in DC is like? Will the stipend post-tax be sufficient?

Good post? Yes | No

I cannot determine which place would make my life better. I have not visited either.

Good post? Yes | No

My reply seems to have gotten lost.

That is exactly what I feel about the two programs. Do you think I should consider BREXIT? Also, in DC, post-tax the stipend that is available won't be enough, will it?

Muzzled.

Good post? Yes | No

I don't think BREXIT will create too much turmoil in the academic sector, but if you do have an eye for the industry it might be some problem.

I think in the offer letter of Georgetown, they specify the tax rate for the stipend could be either 16% or 33% for foreign students (or something like that, please don't blame my memory). If it's 16% I think you are still able to live by doing more TA and RA jobs, but if it's 33% for you, that would be a bit too harsh.

I'm actually not sure about this tax rate: I did not see any mention of the tax rate from other institutions. But I also don't think the tax rate is unique for Georgetown.

If someone has an idea of what's going on with the tax, please clarify!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information