Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation (2020 cycle)

thanos1

Hi all, I'm just trying to see how I should aim with my applications.

Type of Undergrad: B.A. in Economics, B.A. in Math from Unranked Public State University (USA)

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA/Concentration: N/A

GRE: Q169 / V165 / AWA 6

Undergrad Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Econometrics, Mathematical Economics, Game Theory

Math Courses: Accelerated Multivariable Calc (A), Introduction to Proofs & Advanced Math (A), Mathematical Probability (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Advanced Linear Algebra (A), Partial Differential Equations I (A), Real Analysis (A), Complex Analysis (A), Numerical Analysis (A)

Graduate Econ Courses: Econometrics I (A), Micro Theory I (A), Mathematics for Economists (A)

Programming: Proficient in R, Python, Stata.

LORs: 1 from graduate chair whom I took a graduate class from, 1 from professor who I RA'ed for for 2 years and took another graduate class from, 1 from professor who serves as thesis advisor.

Research Experience: 2.5 years RA experience under two professors; undergraduate empirical thesis (3 semesters).

Questions:

1. Where should I aim?

2. How should I bolster my math side of things?

3. Weaknesses in application?

4. How can I remedy that I attend an unranked state school?

I can maybe speak briefly to 4, since I went through this process from an unranked school (LAC, not state). You can't change where you went to school at this point, and you can't stress about that too much, but it seems like you've really made the best of it (getting close with some professors, getting research experience). Your profile is pretty impressive in a lot of aspects and I really wouldn't worry about it.

Take this with a *heavy* grain of salt and wait for others to chime in, but to me it seems like reach schools in the teens/low 20s would be appropriate, and you should surely get some good well funded offers in the thirties (still apply to some safeties, of course, figure out schools you'd be happy with in a wide range). If you decided to do an RAship at the Fed or at a top school for 2 years before entering a program that might boost you up a little further still.

• Like 1

If you come from an unranked school, check to see where past students have gone on to do their PhDs at. That'll be the best gauge of how high you should realistically aim.

I'm confused by your second point. Why would you need to bolster your "math side of things"?

1. Your profile is better than mine, and I was admitted to the low end of top 30.

2. I second tutonic, math is the last thing you need.

3. I don't see any weaknesses that can be remedied.

4. You can't. Just make sure you do your due diligence and apply to schools that fit your interests. I doubt you'll go to Harvard, but you'll have your choice of places.

I found out that my school has sent people to Berkeley, but I'm pretty sure they went through a Master's first, which I'm leaning against. I assume then that Top 30 would be a good range to apply into, with safeties in the top 50 and reaches in the top 15-20.

If you come from an unranked school, check to see where past students have gone on to do their PhDs at. That'll be the best gauge of how high you should realistically aim.

I'm confused by your second point. Why would you need to bolster your "math side of things"?

Berkeley Econ. Everyone, this advice is quite helpful. Any recommendations as I head into my final semester of senior year?

Try to relax. Many people on this forum and elsewhere will tell you how much the admissions process takes out of you and it can hurt a lot. You've likely been at the top of your classes for a long time and that might change soon.