Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Government research?

monetary

Good post? Yes | No

Government research?

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm going to try and be brief. I just graduated with a BA in math and econ, and though I got into some upper-30s PhD programs I would have been *very* happy attending, my partner got into the top MA program in her field so I am moving with her and putting off grad school a bit. I have applied to a LOT of academic RA positions over the last 2 months, but I haven't received anything positive back. I have had more success in private sector/consulting positions, but I've actually ended up accepting a position working for the state government as an Economist (that's the position title) working on forecasting models for one of the state programs (mostly maintenance, but also developing one new model).

My understanding was that doing an academic RAship after grad school boosts your competitiveness, and that doing consulting/private-sector research keeps it about the same. Where does this kind of government work/research that I'll be doing fall? My profile in a nutshell: 3.96 GPA, 169 GRE Quant, really strong letters of recommendation, but from a low-ranked LAC with little research experience.

I would love insight as to what reapplying for PhD programs for fall 2021 will look like for me -- can I assume I'll get similar results? Worse? Better? My letters should stay just about as strong, and I am hoping to take a class or two at a nearby university while I'm working.

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Government research?

Quote Originally Posted by Wahasky View Post
    I would love insight as to what reapplying for PhD programs for fall 2021 will look like for me -- can I assume I'll get similar results? Worse? Better? My letters should stay just about as strong, and I am hoping to take a class or two at a nearby university while I'm working.
    I don't think I'm qualified to give an overarching answer, but my impression is that one of the major strengths of having an RA position is that it can provide you with strong letters of recommendation (this was certainly the case for me). So when you say "my letters should stay just as strong", does that mean you don't expect to get a new letter from this position? If that's the case, my guess would be that you're losing out on a large part of the benefit of a research position.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt, and I'd obviously put more weight on the input of someone more intimately familiar with the proccess like startz or chateau.

monetary

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by cdreier View Post
    I don't think I'm qualified to give an overarching answer, but my impression is that one of the major strengths of having an RA position is that it can provide you with strong letters of recommendation (this was certainly the case for me). So when you say "my letters should stay just as strong", does that mean you don't expect to get a new letter from this position? If that's the case, my guess would be that you're losing out on a large part of the benefit of a research position.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt, and I'd obviously put more weight on the input of someone more intimately familiar with the proccess like startz or chateau.
    You make a really good point, and I guess my answer is that it depends. My understanding is that AdComs basically ignore LORs from non-academics; so, if my supervisor is a PhD economist, especially one with some publications, then I guess I should ask them for a letter; if they're not, it seems like I might be better off sticking with the strong letters my undergrad professors will write me, right? Not really sure how I will navigate that tbh.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

It falls in the same category as private sector work. It is worthless from an adcom perspective.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Wahasky View Post
    You make a really good point, and I guess my answer is that it depends. My understanding is that AdComs basically ignore LORs from non-academics; so, if my supervisor is a PhD economist, especially one with some publications, then I guess I should ask them for a letter; if they're not, it seems like I might be better off sticking with the strong letters my undergrad professors will write me, right? Not really sure how I will navigate that tbh.
    That sounds reasonable to me, if you get to do research with a PhD Economist there's no reason that should be discounted. Otherwise, the position will probably have minimal impact, but it sounds like a good way to deal with the hand you were dealt.

Thread Information