Sponsored Ad:

Thread: (Profile) Korean Undergraduate looking for graduate programs to apply abroad.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

(Profile) Korean Undergraduate looking for graduate programs to apply abroad.

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello, everyone. This is my first post on this forum, so I'm pretty new to a lot of things here.
    I currently live in South Korea and just recently made up my mind to apply for Graduate programs abroad.
    I'm currently thinking of applying for University of Toronto.
    Type of Undergrad: Seoul National University (South Korea)
    (Current) Undergrad GPA: 4.2/4.3 (Roughly translates to 98/100)
    (2 or 3 more semesters left until graduation)
    GRE, IELTS, TOEFL: (Currently Preparing)
    (Did take TEPS in 2016, 947 out of 990)
    Math Courses:
    Calculus for Humanities and Social Sciences 1 (A+)
    Mathematics for Economics (A+)
    Introductory Statistics for Economics (A+)
    Econ Courses:
    Principles of Economics 1 (A+)
    Principles of Economics 2 (A+)
    Macroeconomics (A0)
    Mathematics for Economics (A+)
    Introductory Statistics for Economics (A+)
    Microeconomics (A+)
    Introduction to Market Economy (Pass)
    Behavioral Economics (A+)
    Economic History (B+)
    (Currently attending Economics in Practice)
    (Planning on applying for Environmental Economics and Game Theory)
    Other Courses:
    I'm an Economics student and also studying two other majors.
    - Double Major in Business Management
    Principles in Accounting (A+)
    Principles in Management (A0)
    Management Information System (A0)
    Fundamentals of Economics for Management (A+)
    Organizational Behavior (A+)
    Human Resource Management (A+)
    (Currently attending Operations Management)
    (Planning on applying for Marketing Strategies, Management Forecasting, and Financial Management)
    - Minor in Psychology
    Psychology of Understanding Human Minds (A+)
    Social Psychology and Lab Experiments (A0)
    Introduction to Psychology (A+)
    Abnormal Psychology (A+)
    Organizational Psychology (A+)
    (Currently attending Perception of Self and Mind)
    (Planning on applying for Personality Psychology and Counseling Psychology)
    Letters of Recommendation: (Currently Contacting Professors)
    Other:
    - Was the club leader of an Economics Education Volunteer Program. Taught Middle School/ High School students economics and business strategies. (2 years)
    - Attended Peer Counselor Program. (1 semester)
    - Was a mentor in the School Mentoring Program for Foreigners. (1 semester)
    - Taught Mathematics at a Night School. (1 semester)

Since it was a very recent decision to prepare for a Masters or PhD abroad, I'm pretty much lost in what to prepare first. I know I'm behind in Math courses, but in my school strangely enough Math courses outside of Economics weren't mandatory for graduation so I didn't feel the need to attend any more than needed. I also need to prepare for GRE(Goal of 165-165-5.5), IELTS(Goal of Average over 8), and/or iBT TOEFL(Goal of Total over 100).
    I want to further my studies in Behavioral Economics in my Graduate program. Assuming that my GPA will stay the same until graduation and I attend all of the mentioned courses, will I be able to apply for University of Toronto? Is there any other programs that I would be able to apply for?
    I'm really in need of urgent advice on what should be my priority before I graduate. Also I don't have any friends or seniors who I know that applied for a graduate program in America or Canada. I'm basically a blank slate so any kind of help would be appreciated.
    Thank you so much for reading this long post. Please tell me if I missed anything.
    Hope you have a nice day

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: (Profile) Korean Undergraduate looking for graduate programs to apply abroad.

Anecdotally, a lot of our korean classmates completed their masters at SNU, and then directly applied to phd programs. I think a lot of weight will be placed on your LORs and what they have to say about you.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: (Profile) Korean Undergraduate looking for graduate programs to apply abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Jump View Post
    Anecdotally, a lot of our korean classmates completed their masters at SNU, and then directly applied to phd programs. I think a lot of weight will be placed on your LORs and what they have to say about you.
    Thank you for the comment , but the problem is that starting from 2020 the Economics department (and ONLY the Economics department) decided to eradicate the Masters program and change it to a Masters-Ph-D integrated program That's why I've been looking for ways to apply abroad directly. It's still nice to know that even if I get it to SNU graduate school I still would have a chance ) Just that it'll take longer :P
    Hope you have a nice day

Good post? Yes | No

I think Yonsei's masters program is known to place many into top phd programs; I don't know if they still have the terminal masters degree though. Another option I am thinking about is ,as you said, applying to masters program abroad such as Toronto, LSE, Barcelona, Toulouse and etc. I would also consider places like University of Tokyo. Furthermore, given the profile you provided, I feel like you will have to supplement your transcripts with more math courses. I would say take at least up to Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis 1 and basic probability theory.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BanachUniverse View Post
    I think Yonsei's masters program is known to place many into top phd programs; I don't know if they still have the terminal masters degree though. Another option I am thinking about is ,as you said, applying to masters program abroad such as Toronto, LSE, Barcelona, Toulouse and etc. I would also consider places like University of Tokyo. Furthermore, given the profile you provided, I feel like you will have to supplement your transcripts with more math courses. I would say take at least up to Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis 1 and basic probability theory.
    WOW that many more math courses?? I had no idea that I would have to supplement that much, still thank you for giving me an outline on how much I should prepare bb
    Hope you have a nice day

Thread Information