Urch Forums

Poor grade in time series

poli95

Hi,

This may seem very counterintuitive but I am very interested in time series analysis and macro-econometrics. However, in my first year of economics degree in took a rather difficult time series module and got a borderline fail grade.

After that I have taken much more complex maths(serious analysis, topology), stats (Brownian motion, probability theory, stochastic processes, stochastic stimulation) and metrics (time series included as part of a broad metrics module - following Hayashi, Brockwell & Davis) modules and received straight As. Now, i have a choice to take a time series module again. Do i take it? Instead of this I could take a math module or a stats module.

Thanks

Hi,

This may seem very counterintuitive but I am very interested in time series analysis and macro-econometrics. However, in my first year of economics degree in took a rather difficult time series module and got a borderline fail grade.

After that I have taken much more complex maths(serious analysis, topology), stats (Brownian motion, probability theory, stochastic processes, stochastic stimulation) and metrics (time series included as part of a broad metrics module - following Hayashi, Brockwell & Davis) modules and received straight As. Now, i have a choice to take a time series module again. Do i take it? Instead of this I could take a math module or a stats module.

Thanks

I don't this is a big issue, because if it happened early on in your undergrad and you showed stellar grades in the "core" math courses/econ courses adcoms care about they will most likely attribute it to an adjustment phase. On the other hand, it definitely is not a plus, and if you have the opportunity to wipe away a bad grade it will definitely help (but likely only on the margin). I would suggest you weigh your options: if it is not burden/does not add too much to your schedule I would just re-take it (if it erases or replaces the previous bad grade). If you have a better use of your time (like building an LOR relationship or something else) or if the extra class is a burden, I would just write in your personal statement the reason you got the bad grade, and how you have matured and grown since then.

I don't this is a big issue, because if it happened early on in your undergrad and you showed stellar grades in the "core" math courses/econ courses adcoms care about they will most likely attribute it to an adjustment phase. On the other hand, it definitely is not a plus, and if you have the opportunity to wipe away a bad grade it will definitely help (but likely only on the margin). I would suggest you weigh your options: if it is not burden/does not add too much to your schedule I would just re-take it (if it erases or replaces the previous bad grade). If you have a better use of your time (like building an LOR relationship or something else) or if the extra class is a burden, I would just write in your personal statement the reason you got the bad grade, and how you have matured and grown since then.

Thank you so much laborsabre. i think i will take it again.... don't want to take a risk.