Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Poor grade in time series

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Question Poor grade in time series

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi,

This may seem very counterintuitive but I am very interested in time series analysis and macro-econometrics. However, in my first year of economics degree in took a rather difficult time series module and got a borderline fail grade.

After that I have taken much more complex maths(serious analysis, topology), stats (Brownian motion, probability theory, stochastic processes, stochastic stimulation) and metrics (time series included as part of a broad metrics module - following Hayashi, Brockwell & Davis) modules and received straight As. Now, i have a choice to take a time series module again. Do i take it? Instead of this I could take a math module or a stats module.

Thanks

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Poor grade in time series

Quote Originally Posted by poli95 View Post
    Hi,

This may seem very counterintuitive but I am very interested in time series analysis and macro-econometrics. However, in my first year of economics degree in took a rather difficult time series module and got a borderline fail grade.

After that I have taken much more complex maths(serious analysis, topology), stats (Brownian motion, probability theory, stochastic processes, stochastic stimulation) and metrics (time series included as part of a broad metrics module - following Hayashi, Brockwell & Davis) modules and received straight As. Now, i have a choice to take a time series module again. Do i take it? Instead of this I could take a math module or a stats module.

Thanks
    I don't this is a big issue, because if it happened early on in your undergrad and you showed stellar grades in the "core" math courses/econ courses adcoms care about they will most likely attribute it to an adjustment phase. On the other hand, it definitely is not a plus, and if you have the opportunity to wipe away a bad grade it will definitely help (but likely only on the margin). I would suggest you weigh your options: if it is not burden/does not add too much to your schedule I would just re-take it (if it erases or replaces the previous bad grade). If you have a better use of your time (like building an LOR relationship or something else) or if the extra class is a burden, I would just write in your personal statement the reason you got the bad grade, and how you have matured and grown since then.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Poor grade in time series

Quote Originally Posted by laborsabre View Post
    I don't this is a big issue, because if it happened early on in your undergrad and you showed stellar grades in the "core" math courses/econ courses adcoms care about they will most likely attribute it to an adjustment phase. On the other hand, it definitely is not a plus, and if you have the opportunity to wipe away a bad grade it will definitely help (but likely only on the margin). I would suggest you weigh your options: if it is not burden/does not add too much to your schedule I would just re-take it (if it erases or replaces the previous bad grade). If you have a better use of your time (like building an LOR relationship or something else) or if the extra class is a burden, I would just write in your personal statement the reason you got the bad grade, and how you have matured and grown since then.
    Thank you so much laborsabre. i think i will take it again.... don't want to take a risk.

Thread Information