Urch Forums

CIA or CEA internship during MA program??

dogbones

Which internship would be the better one to go for in my first summer of my 3-year MA program starting next fall: Central Intelligence Agency (Economic Analysis) or Council of Economic Advisers (summer only internship)? Both have strong future implications for me, the CIA I'd like to work for a few years between finishing my PhD and starting an academic position, and the CEA I'd love to work as a Senior Economist during my academic career for 1-2 years. I actually am now seeing the CIA as a much more competitive position, it requires a writing sample and more than a few skills, while the CEA just requires experience in Stata and good grades. The CIA summer internship is paid fairly competitively while the CEA internship is unpaid. I'm interested in health & development policy analysis as one of my research areas... are there any accepted guidelines out there or does anyone have any advice as to which I could lean towards?

Why not apply to both, then ask for advice after you've received offers with details of funding and work requirement?

I was going to apply to both anyway because I would prefer either over neither, but was hoping for any kind of advice regarding these two possible internships...

What are you hoping to get out of these experiences?

I am aiming to work for both in the future, if only for a few years each, so I'd like to get a taste of what it's like and see if it really is what I think it is, and also I would like to have an internship on my resume.

If you wanted to work for the CIA, you'd probably have much better results doing things other than a PhD. If you had a master's and knew a critical language, for example, you'd be a much better fit. I don't imagine the CIA does much in the way of academic research, much like the State Department.