Urch Forums

About Writing Sample in PhD Admission

Frankyi

Hi everyone,

I am preparing for PhD admission in economics this coming fall. While I was considering which term paper to submit as my writing sample, I realized one problem. Since I read somewhere that the admission committee would use tools like Turnitin to detect plagiarism, and in my university, almost every course requires us to submit the term paper to Turnitin for checking. So if I submit one of these term papers, it would, of course, give a high similarity, but does the committee know it is because "self-plagiarism"?? Many thanks!!

I doubt that they use Turnitin for that, but if they do, do not worry. When you get the report, it clearly states the name of the author and the paper with which you have matched content along with the percentage of overlap. If your name hasn't changed, it will be pretty obvious. If it has, you might want to state the previous name, as well.

Thanks there, if they don't use Turnitin, what else might they use?

No problem, just sharing my beliefs. I would imagine that using any plagiarism checker would make the already lengthy and very time consuming process of admissions even more tedious. That is what I meant when I said that I believe they do not use Turnitin for it. :)