Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation Rising Senior

BanachUniverse

Type of Undergrad: BA/BS in Math and Economics (Top 10 Math/Top 10 Econ US)

Undergrad GPA: 3.82

Type of Grad : N/A (accepted into Bachelor/Masters program in Math with full funding, will be finishing up the masters degree component by the 2020/2021 year; haven't decided whether to do masters or not)

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: N/A

Math Courses:

Calc 1,2,3 (A,A-,A) Honors Analysis (B+), Linear Algebra (A-) , Complex Analysis (A-), ODE (B+), PDE&Fourier(A), Numerical Analysis (A), Probability (B+), Measure Theoretic Probability (A), Grad Analysis 1 (A)

Econ Courses:

Undergrad: Micro Math approach(A), Macro Math Approach (A), Prob&Stat (A), Econometrics (A), Development Econ (A), Poverty&Income (A), International Econ (A), Game Theory (B+)

Research: Summer math research (might be published) ; Summer Econ research; Plan to write undergrad thesis and masters thesis

Plan (including my senior year& masters): Undergrad Point-set Topology, Analysis on Manifolds, Grad Analysis 2, Phd Real Analysis, functional analysis,

undergrad math stat, Phd Macro, Phd Econometrics, phd-level Probability, Stochastic Calc, Grad Linear Algebra, and some mixture of applied&pure mathematics courses

Concerns:

1. I am looking to pursue masters in mathematics mainly to supplement more math courses and a few phd econ courses. It seems like the B+s in some important subjects can kill my profile (in fact, all the B+ happened all in one semester where I was physically ill during the finals season).

Therefore, i wanted to see if more math/ econ coursework and better performance can compensate for some B+s in my profile

2. I originally took regular Analysis early in my undergrad as pass/fail mainly to get an exposure to proof-writing and received an A- in the class. Given my profile, will a P in regular analysis be overlooked as I have honors analysis and more proof-based math courses ?

3. I am trying to take one phd econ course for the upcoming fall semester. Which of the following two courses is easier at most schools in terms of the workload? Phd Macro 1 or Phd Econometrics 1?

4. How do grading works in most phd econ classes at other schools? Is it the usual "top 10~20% A, next 50% Bs, and etc?)

5. Can masters in Math significantly improve the chances of getting into Top 10?

Honestly math courses you have already taken are more than enough for admission to PhD in econ, master's in math will not have that much marginal contribution to your profile. You should take more graduate level economics courses and see whether you really want to do PhD in economics. In your senior year you may also try to catch a pre-doctoral RA position at some credible institution, that will be considerably better for your admission prospects than a further master's in math. Given that you are already at a top-10 US college, chances that you'll get admitted to top10 are already higher, but you should be confident that economics is what you want to do :)

snip...

4. How do grading works in most phd econ classes at other schools? Is it the usual "top 10~20% A, next 50% Bs, and etc?)

No, at most schools a B- is effectively a fail. Grades are all A's and B's, often pretty heavy on the A range.

Take PhD Micro rather than Macro or Metrics. But if you have to choose between the latter two, Metrics. Their relative difficulties vary greatly among schools.

You don’t need a Masters in math. The extra year would be better spent being a full time RA somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...