Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation

econinvisible

Type of Undergrad: Rising Senior pursuing BA in Economics, BS in Math from Unranked Public University

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

GRE:170Q/168V/6.0AWA

Math Courses: Multivariable Calculus, Combinatorics, Linear Algebra (2 semesters, proof-based), Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Topology, Abstract Algebra I & II, Mathematical Statistics, Mathematical Probability (all As)

Undergrad Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory (all As)

Grad Courses: Microeconomic Theory I & II (passed PhD qualifying exam), Econometrics I, Mathematics for Econ (all As)

Letters of Recommendation: Recommenders are all from top-20. Two were my professors in my graduate courses, and I've been a RA for one of those professors for the past two years. The final recommender is my thesis advisor and one of my undergraduate professors.

Research Experience: 2 years as an RA; thesis project for junior & senior year (extended- it'll be a two year project).

Teaching Experience: Math tutor (1.5 years) & TA (one semester)

I'm looking to get into a high-ranked school (hopefully top 20), with funding. I read the post about top admissions and the difficulties coming from an unranked school. Is there anything I can do to remedy that?

This is very impressive, including the GRE! I think your math courses will get you into the top schools’ shortlist, and with what you have, coming from an unknown school might be a very slight plus because schools want to recruit from as many schools as possible while keeping their level up.

Given your LORs are fantastic, you have a great chance at your letter writer's alma maters. Otherwise, probably very little chance. If you really want to end up at a top 10 school. I'd recommend applying for another 2 year RAship with the Fed, or with a professor at a top 10 school.

Realistically speaking, where (ranking-wise) do you think I ought to aim with my applications?

As mentioned above, probably the quality of your letters will matter a great deal if you apply now. Even with your grades, it's a gamble for the adcom at a T20 or maybe T30 to admit you from an unranked public university, and a strong and clear testimony to your econ intuition and research capabilities will go a long way making it feel less like a gamble. Connections from your profs may also help. It's hard for me to say with much confidence, but if your letters are great then perhaps 20-30 range? It's conceivable you'd do better or worse.

And what does the process of applying to RAships with professors at top schools/the fed look like?

In addition to many others on this forum, I've posted a ton about this. I've done both of these RAships. Feel free to search around the forum for some of my posts as I've definitely outlined the process before as well as competitiveness.

But, your sort of profile - appears promising, but high variance because adcoms don't know what to make of your university - is the type that likely gains the most from these sort of positions. You'd be in it for the rec letter(s) (in addition to the money and gaining useful research skills/intuition/ideas). These letters will help dispel uncertainty about your potential.